Subaru WRX Forum banner

Gasket and timing kits??

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  s202 
#1 ·
Hey guys just got a new/used longblock for my 03 wrx. Gunna go thur and redo it from the heads out. (No money for block mods yet) anyway I found a few options for oem gasket kits. What have u heard or used? I got $233 for a cometic gasket kit. And bout $260 for a gates timing kit with water pump. My water pump of my blown motor is fairly new so I really don't need the water pump. What do u guys think. Where did u get urs and how
Much. Help me out I wanna do this right this is my 3rd motor. 2 spun bearings in previous engines. I love my wrx.

#3 ·
Oh yah I'm all bout prep and procedure and this motor ran in the wagon it can out if. Ran good too. I can't afford the block and heads machine and checks. I can buy a motor from Subaru for the price the local machine shops want to just check these motors. I've heard 6 star to. But for oem u mean I should call a dealership for parts? A regular gasket kit from felpro or this cometic kit isn't good enuff???? If I do get my heads cleaned up do I hafta but a different head gasket? Thank for the info guys

#4 ·
Agree that OEM gaskets are excellent.

My builder prefers to use Cometic gaskets if the heads and block are decked, to keep the compression ratio consistent with stock.

Am also going with a Gates timing belt kit and ARP head studs.

Attachments

#5 ·
Ya gates is def gunna be the choice there. ###### just the black one I don't have enuff mod to need the blue race one. By decked what Do u mean. I would think always to uses stacked gaskets. But if I don't do the head work done on em I can't use those? Or does it not matter. So far the cometic kit looks the best deal around besides cheap eBay garbage. But is it required for me to get my heads machined to use?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.