Expert please ?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Question Expert please ??

Yeah, I know I keep changing my mind

I found an EJ257 short block for a great deal, and it's an '08. It has a different part # than the up to '07 block. Doe anybody know if there are any significant changes that would prevent it from working with my 2.0 heads and pan. Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
It will work fine for you.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
What are the differences? I'd be scared to walk into a build with just this reassurance^. lol, no offense Kjott.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #4 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 08:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
An EJ257 is an EJ257 no matter what the part number is. There are some differences in the parts used or something like that but the block has the same dimensions and everything.

Best way to get your answer is to call someone who builds Subaru motors and ask them. Ron from Raw Performance or Dom at Maxwell Propulsion will be able to tell you for sure what the differences are.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I just looked at the Shop Manuals for each and they both appear to have the same mounting points and use the same parts except the shortblock has a different part number

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #6 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Further research shows that while this block would have worked for me for certain, the '08s are having major breakage issues. Both PDX and Cobb recommended replacing pistons before doing a hybrid (2.0 heads) set-up with an '08.

I opted to take the path of least resistance and just bought a used EJ205 (complete) with a one year warranty. I should be driving the wagon again in about a week
post #7 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
sounds good...I thought the breakage was limited to the 255's though??...I still find it strange that these things are breaking so much when there like the same thing as 07's...and both of our wagons are going to be together in about a week YAY!!!!

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #8 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ok, I actually wasn't sure if they used the same block. If you already ordered a 205 then it doesn't matter, but you probably know the 257 has had continuous problems with broken pistons since 04. Unless you were trying to save money and were hoping they had upgraded the pistons since all the problems... I'm surprised they haven't.

-Brandon
post #9 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

I really dont get how subaru has had such lax quality control on these freakin pistions...I mean last weekend I saw an STi with stock internals throw down 540whp...but I've also seen them grenade at 400whp its rediculous

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

I've heard of them going as early as 11,000 miles on near bone stock setups.

-Brandon
post #11 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

On NASIOC you hear stories of people with 08-09's that are going with less than 5K

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 01:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
True, when i was getting my car tuned, I was talking with my tuner (Keith, @awdtuning.com) and he said that subaru have started going with a different manufacturer that uses a different metal for the pistons. As subaru is cutting costs. It has the same part # though.

If I remember right i think they either started with the 07's or 08's. Dont remember.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

yeah i remember my mechanic telling me the same thing last year when i was thinking of going hybrid (victor @ BigValleyPerformance)

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement