Subaru WRX Forum banner

engine rebuild

17K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dopey 
#1 · (Edited)
OK guys, after taking one up the tail pipe from a dishonest seller, it looks like I'm going to need a new long block in my 2002 bug eye.

I'm looking for opinions on the best place to get a remanufactured engine. I'm already butt hurt over this thing so I need to find the best deal.

Also, has anyone ever rebuilt one of these things at home? What was the cost? I have the mechanic know how. I've rebuilt lots of engine, just never a boxer.

Just trying to figure out which route to take to spend the least amount of money. I really don't want to put a used engine in it and end up with the same problems

#2 ·
use your old ej205 caseings. have them cleaning/honed/etc...

then add:

Forged Pistons (pick your favortite. manley are the most popular apparently)
OEM Sti 2011+ Nitrated Crank
OEM STI Connecting Rods
OEM STI 11mm Oil Pump
OEM Main & Thrust Bearings
OEM Seals
ARP Studs throughout. (for piece of mind. possibly arent needed depending on HP levels. personally i would use them anyways)
OEM anything else im forgetting. (do research to double check)

this changes the displacement from 2.0 to 2.1 thanks to the STI crankshaft. and it all works fine. been done 1000 times.

#3 ·
Replacement engine options are:

1. Wrecker replacement with used 2,800 $CAD plus remove & repl. (Re & Re)
2. Stock rebuild approx 4,500 $CAD plus Re & Re
3. Performance rebuild 6,000 $CAD plus Re & Re
4. Shortblock replacement 2,500 $CAD plus assembly plus Re & Re
5. Used JDM EJ207 from an importer 6,000 $CAD plus Re & Re

I've unfortunately done most of them. Options 1 and 5 get your car back on the road the quickest - 1 month vs. 2 months for the other build options.

Titter's build above is a good option to get a new performance engine (option 3 on my list), I'd just ensure the rest of the chassis is in good shape before spending that kind of money on a rebuild.

All but options 1 and 2 need a protune.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. The car itself is in excellent shape. It came from the south and apparently was garage kept because it looks like new underneath. No surface rust at all, not even on control arms. And the interior looks like new. So I believe the car is worth putting money into. I think the option titter suggested is the route I would like to go. I just need to sit down, look up parts and figure a price. I have a very good machine shop that does all of my machining for my circle track engines that i plan to use. Assembly and all other labor will be performed at home.

#5 ·
u can also go for forged rods and king/acl bearings. but again thats dependant on your HP goals and bank account. the listed setup though should easily handle 400hp with the right turbo and support. make sure your tune is spot on as no matter how strong you build an engine... one good knock can make it go boom.

#6 ·
I have a vf39 turbo, sti intercooler, invidia exhaust, turboXs BOV, and typhoon intake on the car right now. I just want to compliment what I already have, not looking to make big horse power because I don't want to upgrade the existing 05 transmission or anything else in the drive train. I have to rebuild it so I want to do it right, but also don't want to spend money on components that I won't take advantage of without boosting beyond what my current turbo is capable of. No what I mean? Low to mid 13 second 1/4 would be nice

#8 · (Edited)
CAD = canadian dollar
USD = us dollar

so $6000 becomes about $4000 once you minus conversion and sales tax. current conversion is .77 and sales tax is 13%

and fyi... i paid ALOT less than $6000CAD for my ej207. but i paid cash and picked up locally so thats a HUGE savings. but if you already have a bunch of performance bolt ons, its probably better to rebuild. my first list i posted would be what you want and can probably be found for ~$2000USD or less. again for those hp levels u can omit arp studs but i personally would use them if i was rebuilding any engine.

also right now as we type, alot of companies are having sales for tax refund time. i know rally sport direct is 10% off site wide.

steamspeed sells a 2.1 rebuild kit: http://www.steamspeed.com/index.php.../steamspeed-ej205-ej207-2-123-stoker-kit.html thier recommendation is JE pistons + Eagle rods + STI crank + ACL race bearings which equals $1,554.00USD. this is pretty much your "go-to" package. plenty strong. it says 600-1000HP but thats for the ej207. the open deck ej205 probably will never hit those numbers without being pinned or sleeved.

#9 ·
Ha ha. titter and I are Canadian (, eh).

I paid 4,500 CAD$ for my EJ207, but they really wanted 4,500 US$ for it.

If you can Re & Re it yourself, you're in great shape. Put a new timing belt on it before install though, so you can keep track of it's life.

An EJ207 needs an aftermarket bulkhead wiring harness to support the AVCS and a protune. My tuner gave me a 94 octane tune for the JDM ECU that came with the motor, as well as an e-tune for the USDM ECU that came with the car.

Attachments

#11 ·
If all u want to do is get it back on the road you can use all yor exsisting parts if there not damaged and just replace the bearing and rings. But subbies have been known to get ringland witch makes it s good idea to upgrade the pistons while everything is in peices.

If ## rods and crank arnt torched ## machine shop can sleeve or oversize your bearings

If u go this rought i would say under a 1000 but if u do a full racing build mine was about 53ish hundred not including paint, tools ane ect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.