Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   EJ257 w/ WRX heads, couple of questions (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/ej257-w-wrx-heads-couple-questions-17530/)

W0R2X 04-03-2007 05:41 PM

EJ257 w/ WRX heads, couple of questions

alright, so i've basically planned out what i'm going to do and what i need to get. so far, the list is...
EJ257 out of a 2006 STi(04,05,&06 are the same block anyway, right?) with the Subaru Gasket Kit.
Head Gasket, i haven't decided if i should go with the Cometic, or just STi head gaskets.
Rocker cover gasket set. not exactly sure about these as far as what they are for, and if they are needed.
OEM STi oil pump, water pump, and timing belt.

now im wondering if the ARP head studs are necessary for me because i dont plan on making a lot of power, so will the Subaru OEM suffice?
is there a difference between the STi and WRX thermostats? i cant remember where i read it but it said that it would be crucial.
and is it absolutely necessary to run STi pinks? or can i just use my WRX injectors?
keep in mind that i am not upgrading my turbo, i think its off of an 05 WRX, and nothing else will be upgraded.
your inputs are appreciated, thanks in advance

WRXKidid775 04-04-2007 12:50 AM

bump.

605wrx 04-04-2007 09:02 AM

bump.

W0R2X 04-05-2007 12:26 PM

anybody?

RaysREX 04-05-2007 06:03 PM

The sky is blue.

bump

WRXKidid775 04-05-2007 06:05 PM

i didnt mean to start a bumpfest. vew dont kill me. its just someting that needs to be figured out relativley soon.

LiL Shoaf 04-05-2007 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=W0R2X;145437]alright, so i've basically planned out what i'm going to do and what i need to get. so far, the list is...
EJ257 out of a 2006 STi(04,05,&06 are the same block anyway, right?) with the Subaru Gasket Kit.
Head Gasket, i haven't decided if i should go with the Cometic, or just STi head gaskets.
Rocker cover gasket set. not exactly sure about these as far as what they are for, and if they are needed.
OEM STi oil pump, water pump, and timing belt.

now im wondering if the ARP head studs are necessary for me because i dont plan on making a lot of power, so will the Subaru OEM suffice?
is there a difference between the STi and WRX thermostats? i cant remember where i read it but it said that it would be crucial.
and is it absolutely necessary to run STi pinks? or can i just use my WRX injectors?
keep in mind that i am not upgrading my turbo, i think its off of an 05 WRX, and nothing else will be upgraded.
your inputs are appreciated, thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Ok. I'll give this a shot..

1. If you don't plan to pump this thing full of boost the OEM studs will be fine (NEW ones as they stretch)..
2. As for the Thermostat you should get a Crucial 160 for better performance..
[url]http://www.crucialracing.com/products/coolsafe.php[/url]
3. As for the Pinks.. It's pretty easy to max out the Blues on the 2.0L, I would deffinitly get some pinks or new 06/07 injectors..
4. It's probably best to get the Cometec Head Gasket as you can play with the thickness a bit to adjust compression should you decide to do that, they are also stronger and will last longer..

W0R2X 04-06-2007 01:26 AM

alright i planned on getting new head bolts anyway.
as for the thermostat, does it have to be crucial, or is oem ok?
i'm looking at a website for the injectors, its kind of weird because it says that the injectors for the sti and wrx are the same price... but it shows 2 different cars.. so maybe they are retarded?
and how do i tell which thickness i need for the head gasket?

WRXKidid775 04-06-2007 01:30 AM

koo check out deatshwerks.com or something like that for the injectors. you can get good ones for super cheap.

W0R2X 04-06-2007 03:09 AM

hmm. website isn't working

LiL Shoaf 04-06-2007 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=W0R2X;145916]alright i planned on getting new head bolts anyway.
as for the thermostat, does it have to be crucial, or is oem ok?
i'm looking at a website for the injectors, its kind of weird because it says that the injectors for the sti and wrx are the same price... but it shows 2 different cars.. so maybe they are retarded?
and how do i tell which thickness i need for the head gasket?[/QUOTE]

You can run the OEM Thermostat, but and upgraded (ex: Crucial 160) is more accurate..

Well, the 02/03/04/05 Blue all flow less then the STI Pinks and 06/07 WRX injectors..

As for the Head Gasket thickness you need to know all the specs on the cumbustion Chamber or call up a shop like AXIS Power Racing.. Ron will hook you up with the right thickness and even sell you gaskets if you chose to upgrade to Cometec..

W0R2X 04-06-2007 10:47 PM

alright thanks shoaf

W0R2X 04-06-2007 10:48 PM

i forgot to ask.. do i need to go stand alone, or will a reflash work? i've heard that both will work, but then i've heard that reflash wont. can anyone clarify?
thanks

LiL Shoaf 04-08-2007 03:49 PM

Either a reflash, piggyback, or standalone will tune your setup.. The added displacement is similar to most other mods as far as it's just tuning.. Now if you wanted to upgrade to STI heads then you need the AVS control or to block off the AVS which neggates the STI head option..

W0R2X 04-08-2007 06:34 PM

alright thanks again shoaf. much appreciated.
so.. just to make sure, for my block swap, have i listed everything that i need to make this work 100%? because im going to order the parts either tomorrow, or tuesday i think, and i want to make sure i dont have to buy more stuff, before it gets even more expensive than it is.