Subaru WRX Forum banner

EJ257 swap

8K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  sekretskwirl 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a STi shortblock within the next couple of weeks, there are a bunch of reputable companies out there, Cobb, Axis, Gruppe-S. I know Lil Shoaf got his setup from Axis and I heard they are awesome there, from him and other forums I have searched. I am stuck, I am looking for any of the Stage 1 Shortblocks, besides Axis, I would go with their Stage 2. If anyone who has this kind of setup or knows anyone with this setup, I'd appreciate some sort of input. I plan on doing some other mods to make the block run as efficient as possible. Here is what I thought of so far:

shortblock and accessories (oil pump, water pump, timing belt, etc.)
port and polished heads
injectors (565 or 650)
oil cooler
thermostat (Crucial)
gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, egt, and wideband o2 sensor w/ gauge)
lightweight pulleys
Cobb street tuner and laptop

If there is anything I missed that is needed could you please let me know. Thanks

See less See more
#9 ·
Just to clear things up. I purchased an OEM STI Short Block from Kerven Subaru for 1500 and installed Forged CP Pistons that I purchased from Ron at Axis Racing.. However I DO have the Axis Stage 2 heads...

Edit: CP pistons were in the 500-600 range.. So that's about 2000-2100 for my block..

#11 ·
LiL Shoaf said:
Just to clear things up. I purchased an OEM STI Short Block from Kerven Subaru for 1500 and installed Forged CP Pistons that I purchased from Ron at Axis Racing.. However I DO have the Axis Stage 2 heads...

Edit: CP pistons were in the 500-600 range.. So that's about 2000-2100 for my block..
I was thinking of doing that but I wasn't sure how much the labor would be and if it would come out more expensive than just buying a already forged STi block.

#12 ·
You should talk to whoever is going to install your engine and see if he can give you a deal and do the pistons at the same time as the install. I can't imagine it being that expensive to get pistons installed, when the motor is being put in. Your stock turbo is going to spool rediculously fast with 2.5L. I assume you will be doing your tranny soon too, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145547 this guy is selling his brand new RA gears and bearings.

#13 ·
Installing Pistons in the short block is a snap.. You can do it your self, but a tuner will set better tolerances 9 times out of 10.. Ron actually put mine in for me because he wanted to bolt the heads on himself to make sure all was done correctly.. Because of this issue my install was FREE.. Doesn't hurt that I bought so much on his stuff..

#14 ·
j429b said:
You should talk to whoever is going to install your engine and see if he can give you a deal and do the pistons at the same time as the install. I can't imagine it being that expensive to get pistons installed, when the motor is being put in. Your stock turbo is going to spool rediculously fast with 2.5L. I assume you will be doing your tranny soon too, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145547 this guy is selling his brand new RA gears and bearings.
I'm going to be doing the install, but yea, a deal like lil shoaf's would be cool, I don't know if I would trust myself installing pistons. I really can't go around asking company's for deals, it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. When I get in contact with whatever company I choose, I'll see what's up. Right now my main problem is choosing which place to get it from because there are some things that I'd like for instance, upgraded bearings (that's the reason I'm in this mess, because of a bearing problem) and balancing of the whole assembly. I'm just trying to get the car running right now, I can baby my tranny for a while, even though I am going to need one in the near future. It's pretty far down the list of things to worry about.

#15 ·
Most of the shops that I talked to were amazing.. Axis, Element, AndrewTech.. They all were more then willing to answer questions, and help out on cost.. Some however were more Punctual then others, lol, but that's another story.. If your spending the cash on a block and pistons from the same dealer there is no reason why they shouldn't install them for free or something like 100 bucks.. The installation of pistons in a fresh block is so simple it's ridiculous... If memory serves I was told about 30 minutes..

What is your ultimate goal?? My rotating assembly is OEM balanced and I am running the OE bearings..

#18 ·
Nope, if they computer balance the crank it will be better then stock, but I have no issues with my stock STI crank at that power level.. The STI components are pretty good OE.. I am also running STI rods, which they could "match" so they are with in a closer tolerance to each other... But again I didn't do this, I do plan to have matched forged pistons, and rods in my next block (2.8L) and a balanced Crank, but my goal is 1,000whp for that monster..

#21 ·
I just talked to someone from Axis, very nice guy, he said if I wanted upgraded bearings and balance of everything it would be 600 more and 200 more for coated pistons. It would take the rev limit to 8000rpms. :cool: As of right now Axis is looking mighty tasty, I'm thinking about getting some STi cams to go with their port and polish headwork. Anyone know where I can find some at?

#25 ·
Thanks for your input brother, I appreciate it ALOT! I'm really leaning towards this setup, a DSM buddy of mine keeps telling me to research more before I buy a block. He says he researched for 5 years before figuring out what he wanted to do. I've only heard good things about Axis, nothing bad at all, compared to Cobb and Gruppe-S, which I heard both good and bad. I don't really know what else to research about this block. All I do in my spare time is search forums about these things. BTW, Shoaf, how much was your shipping for the block and heads?

#26 ·
My shipping was like 150 bucks.. It is freighted on a pallet. I had it shipped to my office however, it might be more to a private residence.. I remember the day it arrived. I left early. LOL.

come on, like you wouldn't.. LOL..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.