EJ257 swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
EJ257 swap

I'm looking to buy a STi shortblock within the next couple of weeks, there are a bunch of reputable companies out there, Cobb, Axis, Gruppe-S. I know Lil Shoaf got his setup from Axis and I heard they are awesome there, from him and other forums I have searched. I am stuck, I am looking for any of the Stage 1 Shortblocks, besides Axis, I would go with their Stage 2. If anyone who has this kind of setup or knows anyone with this setup, I'd appreciate some sort of input. I plan on doing some other mods to make the block run as efficient as possible. Here is what I thought of so far:

shortblock and accessories (oil pump, water pump, timing belt, etc.)
port and polished heads
injectors (565 or 650)
oil cooler
thermostat (Crucial)
gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, egt, and wideband o2 sensor w/ gauge)
lightweight pulleys
Cobb street tuner and laptop

If there is anything I missed that is needed could you please let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
What turbo and intercooler are you going with?
post #3 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
I am just going to run my stock setup until I break the block in and get more cash.
post #4 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 05:39 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
if you get a pully (which won't do hardly anything) make sure it's not an underdrive pulley or you can have problems.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
I know about underdrive pulleys, thanks brother. My stock crank pulley is cracked down the middle and I might as well get the set of pulleys while I'm doing to swap.
post #6 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
How much are the STI blocks from axis? Because I am pretty sure Rafferty Subaru has them for 1550.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
Is it the stock Subaru STi block? I'm looking for one with forged pistons.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
It is the stock one. I didn't remember you said you were looking for a stage 1 or stae 2 block.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Just to clear things up. I purchased an OEM STI Short Block from Kerven Subaru for 1500 and installed Forged CP Pistons that I purchased from Ron at Axis Racing.. However I DO have the Axis Stage 2 heads...

Edit: CP pistons were in the 500-600 range.. So that's about 2000-2100 for my block..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #10 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
Is it cheaper to buy the block and then put the pistons in?
post #11 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf
Just to clear things up. I purchased an OEM STI Short Block from Kerven Subaru for 1500 and installed Forged CP Pistons that I purchased from Ron at Axis Racing.. However I DO have the Axis Stage 2 heads...

Edit: CP pistons were in the 500-600 range.. So that's about 2000-2100 for my block..
I was thinking of doing that but I wasn't sure how much the labor would be and if it would come out more expensive than just buying a already forged STi block.
post #12 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
You should talk to whoever is going to install your engine and see if he can give you a deal and do the pistons at the same time as the install. I can't imagine it being that expensive to get pistons installed, when the motor is being put in. Your stock turbo is going to spool rediculously fast with 2.5L. I assume you will be doing your tranny soon too, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145547 this guy is selling his brand new RA gears and bearings.
post #13 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 08:28 PM
WRXpert

Installing Pistons in the short block is a snap.. You can do it your self, but a tuner will set better tolerances 9 times out of 10.. Ron actually put mine in for me because he wanted to bolt the heads on himself to make sure all was done correctly.. Because of this issue my install was FREE.. Doesn't hurt that I bought so much on his stuff..

post #14 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobyWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by j429b
You should talk to whoever is going to install your engine and see if he can give you a deal and do the pistons at the same time as the install. I can't imagine it being that expensive to get pistons installed, when the motor is being put in. Your stock turbo is going to spool rediculously fast with 2.5L. I assume you will be doing your tranny soon too, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145547 this guy is selling his brand new RA gears and bearings.
I'm going to be doing the install, but yea, a deal like lil shoaf's would be cool, I don't know if I would trust myself installing pistons. I really can't go around asking company's for deals, it doesn't seem like the right thing to do. When I get in contact with whatever company I choose, I'll see what's up. Right now my main problem is choosing which place to get it from because there are some things that I'd like for instance, upgraded bearings (that's the reason I'm in this mess, because of a bearing problem) and balancing of the whole assembly. I'm just trying to get the car running right now, I can baby my tranny for a while, even though I am going to need one in the near future. It's pretty far down the list of things to worry about.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 PM
WRXpert

Most of the shops that I talked to were amazing.. Axis, Element, AndrewTech.. They all were more then willing to answer questions, and help out on cost.. Some however were more Punctual then others, lol, but that's another story.. If your spending the cash on a block and pistons from the same dealer there is no reason why they shouldn't install them for free or something like 100 bucks.. The installation of pistons in a fresh block is so simple it's ridiculous... If memory serves I was told about 30 minutes..

What is your ultimate goal?? My rotating assembly is OEM balanced and I am running the OE bearings..