Subaru WRX Forum banner

EJ22T Sleeved to 2.5

20K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  LeohMit 
#1 · (Edited)
G'Day All,

Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year :D

Sorry it's been a long time since I've been online but work has been kinda busy with the arrival of our new toys... Murtaya: The Subaru WRX/STi Based Lightweight AWD Roadster

Well... I'm no looking for a bit more power :p I'm thinking and this is where I need your help?? I'd like to sleeve the engine in the 22B to 2.5ltr? Does anyone know if you can sleeve the EJ22 with a EJ25 sleeve? like these... Subaru EJ20 / EJ25 Block Sleeve Z10 Motorsports

#3 ·
Edit: I searched some. Imagine that. The 22b has a 2.2 Turbo and it had either a VF22 or a IHI RHF5 VF23 turbocharger. Sorry for the erroroneous post. I wouldn't know if the sleeving could be done or not.

#4 ·
The best thing about the motor is it's closed deck. It's much more robust than the EJ257 and it's watered down WRX versions the US gets.

Anyway, I don't know what you're doing modifying a 22B motor. They're sacred things! You should get a second Subaru to play around with. There will never be more factory 22B motors. 50 years form now when they're doing a "10 most famous cars of the 1990s", the 22B will be there.

#6 ·
Yep... Closed deck, this is why I believe that I could sleeve it?? and the EJ257 isn't. I have owned the 22B for 3 years now and have got too used to the power. I will not use the original engine as I brought a block from the States and I'm planning on doing the work to that.

#7 ·
Well, I know you think the more modern EJ motors are junky and all but if you want to make substantially more power, I think they're a far better option for you. Your "bullet proof" motor won't stay that way if you sleeve it anyway.

#8 ·
Sorry... I didn't say the "modern" EJ motors were junky, as the "modern" EJ still come out of the same molds the old EJ are cast in. The difference comes from the heads/cams and engine management. I feel (in own opinion) and this comes from racing many EJ's, that if you want more power, the only way this is going to happen is from Cubic Inches... As your aware, the EJ257 is only semi-closed and it would require lots more stiffening (machining) to handle 25PSI boost. Thanks for your advice and I'll follow up with both options and see how we go?

Sorry for going off the beaten track...

#9 · (Edited)
You can build current EJs as closed deck. I've seen it on some websites that will build a new EJ closed deck. So, it's definatly possible. Not saying it'll be cheap or anything. Just letting you know.

Edit: From doing all sorts of searching now. Because this thread is really interesting to me. I've heard that axispower and crawford will make closed deck EJs.

Axispower's new website: Home
Crawfords website: Crawford Performance

2nd Edit: If I'm correct in assuming what i'm reading is correct. Then the following pics are correct. (I took them from another forum that had a heated flame war over closed decks in subarus. I'd give them credit for the awesome find. But, I didn't want to link to a flame post.)

closed deck

semi closed(like the sti)

open deck

#13 ·
You can build current EJs as closed deck. I've seen it on some websites that will build a new EJ closed deck. So, it's definatly possible. Not saying it'll be cheap or anything. Just letting you know.

Edit: From doing all sorts of searching now. Because this thread is really interesting to me. I've heard that axispower and crawford will make closed deck EJs.

Axispower's new website: Home
Crawfords website: Crawford Performance

2nd Edit: If I'm correct in assuming what i'm reading is correct. Then the following pics are correct. (I took them from another forum that had a heated flame war over closed decks in subarus. I'd give them credit for the awesome find. But, I didn't want to link to a flame post.)

closed deck
Cheers Turmic... I've heard of Crawford Performance before (through Ken Block) but have never dealt with them so I'll email both names you mentioned.

p.s. it looks like the first picture of the engines is off a EJ22T, as I can see the threads for the oil squirters? it appears that this engine has been sleeved?

#12 ·
Sorry... but this is were I can't understand where you are coming from?? How would sleeving a EJ22 Closed Deck make it weaker? as I'm not decreasing the strengthening part? Or am I'm not seeing this correctly? As I see it EJ22 has a 97mm bore and the EJ25 has a 99mm bore, with means that side walls are only 1mm further out? This would only extend out further if the aftermarket sleeves are thicker that factor sleeves?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing with you, just looking for advice and you guys in the States have lot more choices than us Down Under.

#11 ·
A fully closed deck sleeved and bored is still going to be more stable (stronger) then a semi closed deck which is also sleeved and bored.. The semi closed sleeved block will still allow the cyls to flex which is what causes failures in the head gasket.. Mind you this is my setup. Anyway, a fully closed deck with the above options will mot allow as much movment..

That being said, it's cheaper and plenty strong enough do do a semi closed setup unless you have a closed deck that has a messed up bore that can be fixed with a sleeve...

Edit: Turmic, your pictures are correct..

#16 ·
Not sure if that picture is of a 2.2 that's sleeved or not. I just simply found the pics on another forum.

Shoaf...that link i had was ron's new website. !Thumbs Up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.