Subaru WRX Forum banner

ej22 engine builders check it

12K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Piper11 
#1 ·
my buddy spun a rod bearing in his rex and was looking to swap either a ej2507 or a ej22 out of an oldschool legacy

the ej22 is sohc but could you use the heads from the ej20 on the 22 to make it a dohc correct?

also would the compression be an issue at all because if it was originally sohc because it was NA not forced induction right?

it came out of an a/t car but that shouldnt be a problem iirc.

let me know soon please thanks.

#13 ·
I am having some troubles finding what head gasket to use for this build. I have an 02 wrx ej205 and a ej22t from 91-94 Legacy. I’ve read multiple places to match the head to head gasket or block to head gasket. I’m curious to what you used and how well it worked. Thank you

#4 ·
well its sohc but we would be using the dohc ej20 heads and its not going to be a huge power car. just trying to get it up and running. is the ej22 a drop in or are we gonna have to mess around with mounts at all?

koo i talked to a guy who could get it tuned over the internet using the tactrix cable that i am ordering soon so no worries on em.

#5 ·
Everything lines up, I have never dealt with the a NA but the 2.2t block you had to drill and tap a vaccum line nipple that was not used by the wrx plus you have to use a 2.2 head gasket. The only thing I was saying is that i dont think the 2.2 will hold any power evn the stock wrx boost.

#6 ·
eh bummer thanks man. good to know that. we were hoping it would work. motor is for sale for 250$ and it runs so we were gonna by it tear it down send it to the machine shop to get machined and to hone the cylinders and try to be sneaky with it but if its gonna be an issue with supporting the boost i dont wanna deal with it.

#7 ·
It'll run but I wouldn't turbo that motor. It's not gunna hold boost and you'll just blow it. Even the 2.5 in the RS is crappy under boost. No NA motor is going to be reliable under significant boost. That's why we all love turboed from the factory cars to start with.

#9 ·
that is the engine that i am trying to find shoaf.. but i wasnt sure if they used the same block in the n/a and the turbo model legacy. so the difference is open deck and closed deck? what if i sent the n/a block to get the deck closed?
if that doesnt work i want to try to find an sti block.. there is one off of renickmotorsports.com http://www.renickmotorsports.com/os...t_info.php?cPath=132_135_167&products_id=1377 but im not exactly sure what i need to do to make it work. so far from what i gathered, i can use my wrx heads, but then again i dont know for sure. i dont know which head gaskets i need to use, seem like cometic, but what thickness? and as for tuning, is it necessary for me to get em or can i just use a tactrix cable like wrxkidid was telling me? (sorry wrxkidid, i trust you i just need to be sure.) and is that all i need to do? or is there more?
anyway, shoaf, you seem to be the man to ask, so if you could, help me please.. thnx for anyone elses inputs.
thanks in advance.
Koo Tran

#10 ·
Were did you see "deck closing"?? This would be a nice option to sleeving for strength.. and Yes, "Most" NA blocks were open deck (very weak, the cylindar can actually move and cuase head gasket failure) and closed deck (area around cylindar is not hollow). I'll try to find some pictures..

#11 ·
i cant remember where i saw the ad, i'd have to look again. i know what it looks like, but i'm wondering if it would work.
im leaning toward getting the ej257, but again, i dont know exactly everything that needs to be done, and i'm trying to get out of this paying as little as i can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.