EJ205 swap to JDM EJ205 - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The wiring harness was very straight forward to make, you are only really adding 5 wires to the ECU side and 4 to the actual plug that goes to the motor. The biggest pain is repinning the ECU, but with the right tools, or in my case improvised tools, you can build one yourself. I suppose I could do a write up on it, but it might take a few days.
Unless you are going to be doing serious racing, stick with the STI pan, baffle and pick up. Not knocking Killer B's stuff, but out of all the cars I have worked on and built over the past years, I have never seen one with a bad pick up. Clogged because they didn't care for the motor, yes, but never broke.
The banjo bolt on the cylinder head to the AVCS and turbo, pull the screen out of it.
If you do the ECU swap, for the love off all that is holy, DO NOT PLUG THE ECU IN WITH THE BATTERY HOOKED UP!!! Make sure your connections are correct or you can fry the ecu.
titter, RoboTuner and MR31 like this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
The biggest pain is repinning the ECU, but with the right tools, or in my case improvised tools, you can build one yourself. I suppose I could do a write up on it, but it might take a few days.
Keith,

Are you able to add AVCS signals to your USDM ECU then, once the bulkhead wiring harness is in place?

Are there spare channels in the standard '03 WRX map then that can be used for this?

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
post #18 of 25 Old 09-16-2015, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Keith,

Are you able to add AVCS signals to your USDM ECU then, once the bulkhead wiring harness is in place?

Are there spare channels in the standard '03 WRX map then that can be used for this?
Haven't had a chance to experiment with that, but I intend to soon. I mean other than the repinning, the pins are there and honestly I can't see Subaru using a different ECU layout for all there models. I honestly think it would take just writing a ECU definition and loading the map with the correct set up...
LW_Black4 likes this.

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies

post #19 of 25 Old 11-16-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
Motor swap complete after a few bloody knuckles and f* bombs got it all in. Worst part was getting the Torque converter to go back into the transmission that and you need very small hands to get to a lot of places! Added a few things that my friend wanted on like a new blowout valve and colored hose kit. I did go with the STI oil pan and pick up as well as the racing timing belt with all new pulleys, water pump. had to change the inlet tube to the turbo stock one was torn right at the turbo! That couldn't have been helping how it was running!! But the end result is turned the key it fired right up no high idle and no CEL!!! YAY!!!
But like I said had a herd time getting the Converter in well ended up damaging the seal so it's leaking Tran's fluid pretty good!... UGH!! Now have to pull the trans to fix that!!! So Mad at myself for this!! Will post some Pic's of the motor and video after I fix the Trans leak!!! :/
post #20 of 25 Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
put your stock BPV back on... AT's hold thier boost during shifts so you get no *psshhhht* sound. bov's are useless.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #21 of 25 Old 11-17-2015, 11:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
I second what @titter said, unless you're running over 20psi or it's failing you have no need to use a BOV, and when you use a BOV instead of a BPV you run rich between shifts (more so on manuals) so you may foul your spark plugs faster.

As for the A/T fluid, did you tear the seal for the trans input shaft or is it leaking at the seam around the edge. One is fixable the other requires replacement of the unit!
post #22 of 25 Old 11-17-2015, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
the stock jdm bpv i think is good for 25-30psi

dont forget to wave
post #23 of 25 Old 11-17-2015, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
the stock jdm bpv i think is good for 25-30psi
If you mod it, but it is just like the USDM ones sans the newer plastic crap they put on in 06 and up

03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies
post #24 of 25 Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
I don't have the stock one, It's aftermarket recirculate/ BOV valve all billet aluminum I have the end capped off so it don't blow out the air. The stock one was removed by a garage and had some cheap BOV on it and they didn't have it hooked up right.
Not sure on the leak think the seal is damaged and needs to be replaced. So I pulled the Trans out!! What a nightmare that was to do, thank god I had a lift to do it on! It was the Seal around the input shaft that was damaged. Also I don't think I had the other shafts lined up correctly either. The seal was easy to replace lined up the shafts to the Converter and it slid right in with a half turn. For anyone Pulling the trans out jack up the front of the motor cause there is no room to pull it back out or put back in. Also this would have been a HELL of a lot easier with a Trans jack!! Ended up with Two other guys we picked it up and put it in! In the end fixed the leak and car run's strong with no leaks this time!!
titter likes this.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
glad it allworked out for you

dont forget to wave