EJ205 swap to JDM EJ205 - Subaru WRX Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
EJ205 swap to JDM EJ205

Hi everyone new on here. Now I've read a lot of different post on motor swaps and have done a lot of research. So hear it goes... First off this is not my car this is my wife's sisters Bf car. Now I have built V8's and motorcycle motors and can do just about any type of mechanical job's.
The car is an 2004 WRX 2.0 turbo Automatic with a bad motor spun a main or rod bearing. I've found a JDM replacement motor on ebay it's from a 2004 WRX I know that you need to use intake and exhaust manifolds off usdm and all the other parts like PS, AC, ALT. Also saw that you have to change the drivers side intake cam gear and crank timing gear or it wont start. Is there anything else I'm missing?
Also while I'll have the engine out was going to change the timing belt and wheels along with water pump, possibly head gaskets. Anything else I should do at this point? Thanks for any info..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
the JDM motors i believe has ACVS, which can be a pita to wire up. but i believe u can just leave it disconnected. other than that, i think you got it all covered.

also heres this: its for an 03 but it should have all the info covered
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2579471

good luck and welcome to the forums
LW_Black4 likes this.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #3 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
Thanks titter I did see that some have the ACVS but on a post on here I saw that the 04 WRX didn't have ACVS. Does that only go for the US models?

post #4 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
honestly im not 100% sure when ACVS was introduced into USDM engines. i just know it was available on almost all of the JDM EJ205's. but there are some non-acvs JDM engines. alot of people just leave it disconnected because apparently its a huge hassle unless you just throw money at a tuner and say "fix it!!"

dont forget to wave
post #5 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
Okay great, Thanks for that link a lot of good info!
post #6 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
IA Performance has a bulkhead wiring harness to use the AVCS.

Here's the link: IA Performance Subaru AVCS Bulkhead Wiring Kit

I'd first confirm if it has AVCS and then install this kit if it does. It is optional, but my tuner says AVCS is worth 30-40 Hp.

Oh yes, I have AVCS working in my '04 WRX now.
Attached Images

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.

Last edited by LW_Black4; 09-15-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: example
post #7 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
Okay Great, I'll have to confirm if it does or not thanks LW_Black4.
post #8 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
AVCS was introduced to the USDM wrx on the MY06 wrx, also there are EDM wrx with AVCS but not all. LW_Black4 care to shed some light on your AVCS in a new post so those of us considering swapping heads can get a better idea if we really want to do it?
post #9 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
@RoboTuner

I bought a JDM v7 EJ207 and had it installed in my '04 WRX. v7's are drive by cable and have AVCS.

You'll need the JDM ECU and the IA Performance bulkhead wiring harness to get the AVCS to work, as the '04 WRX USDM ECU doesn't support the additional signals for the AVCS. @psinuse made his own bulkhead wiring harness, but he's incredible.

A tuner put a '94 octane tune on the JDM ECU and an emissions tune on the USDM ECU for one package price. I swap to the USDM ECU every 2 years for an emissions test and run the JDM ECU normally.

It just seems wrong to me - especially if you are seeking power - not to use the AVCS, but I do realize that it's optional.
psinuse, RoboTuner and MR31 like this.

post #10 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
LW_Black4 When you had the EJ207 installed did you have them replace any motor components? Like Timing belt, water pump, Head gaskets? When I do my swap was going to do those just to be safe. What are your thoughts on changing the oil pump as well?
post #11 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I'd change the timing belt kit, which has the water pump. It's easier to do with the engine is out and you'll know when the timing belt was last changed for future service work.

Oil pump is not as important, as it has a much gentl-er service environment - immersed in oil. I would check the oil pump pickup for cracks though if you are removing the oil pan - even though I didn't. Ha ha.

Instead of replacing the oil pump though, I'd upgrade to an STi pan: "06-07 Subaru STi Oil Pan and Pick-up". I wanted this but didn't have the opportunity. Below is the link:

06-07 Subaru STi Oil Pan and Pick-up
Flatirons Tuning - 06-07 Subaru STi Oil Pan and Pick-up

I wouldn't remove the heads unless there were head gasket issues. Once the heads are removed the block or heads may need to be resurfaced and then you're into a complete rebuild.
Attached Images

MR31 likes this.

Last edited by LW_Black4; 09-15-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: head gasket
post #12 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
i agree, if you have it, i dont see why you wouldnt use it. but again it needs to be tuned for it. you cant just engange the system and hope for the best. so it falls under the "tuner fix it!!" category. your average shadetree mech just leaves it alone as you need to spend extra money on a proper tune as well as the installation and harness.

@LW_Black4 how hard is swapping the ECU's for emissions? im assuming u have both USDM and JDM on hand... is it just plug and play? never heard of this and it sounds brilliant!

dont forget to wave
post #13 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Yes, the ECU is plug & play - being static conscious of course.

A protune is required in every case even if every single engine part is stock, because the fuel is slightly different here than in Japan.
titter likes this.

post #14 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

MR31 is an unknown
Yeah I have done a few timing belts on these engines not a big deal, Okay just thought seeing the motor was out to do the head gaskets but I see your point about having to resurface the blocks and heads. The pick up tube and pan seem to be a good idea again seeing it's out of the car. Thanks again for the info @LW_Black4
post #15 of 25 Old 09-15-2015, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
Don't forget to get the Killer B baffle with your oil pan, if not their oil pick-up...I got those with my STi oil pan.