• 1 Post By basco
  • 1 Post By LW_Black4
  • 1 Post By basco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

joker7463 is an unknown
ej205 Short block build

I have a 2002 wrx with a few bolt ons. and was looking at building a new short block. something that can hold 350 to 450awhp. looking to get a bigger turbo after i build the short block im thinking maybe a vf39, need some suggestions on what internals to use and turbos. i would like to stay around 1200 to 1800 on the short block build if possible i could use some oem internals also if need be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 09:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
For that power goal you're going to crack or warp the cylinders in 205. You would really be pretty good off looking into an EJ207 swap which can hold 400awhp. You can find the complete swap for right about 3500 shipped with turbo. Honestly your going to spend that much building a short block thats capable of that power, since you would either need to sleeve the 205 or pick up a EJ207/255/257 block to start with.
joker7463 likes this.

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

joker7463 is an unknown
well id like to stay close to 1200 to 1800 even if that means a mild build for now with a td05. my old short block spun a bearing i believe so i wanna mildly build the next one. ill more then likely be doing a full sti swap during winter so i mainly need something for right now.

post #4 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention basco is a WRX tech God, pay attention
If you plan on doing a swap theres no point in building anything. Just pick up another 205. Parts alone for a decent short block your more than 1800

13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #5 of 10 Old 07-13-2015, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
[QUOTE=basco;521106]For that power goal you're going to crack or warp the cylinders in 205. QUOTE]

Really? Both my engine builder and Tuner stated until you are @ 500+AWHP range do you need to start worrying about issues and when sleeve is a must. I told them my goal was 450ish to the wheels and my build reflects those goals on a EJ205 not sleeved.

Now of course there is always those occurrences where it happens to someone who is mildly built.

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
post #6 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
An EJ205 built motor cost me 5500 $CAD, with the original TD04 turbo and intercooler. It was 285 Hp / 285 TQ on my biggest COBB tune (Stage 2 17.8psi). I broke it at the track.

I'm putting in a v7 EJ207 now, which cost me 4400 $CAD to buy, but will be 5500 $CAD including installation, IA Performance wiring harness and a new timing belt. It was rated 280 Hp but is night and day better than my built motor.

The EJ207 is hand built by Subaru, has an excellent VF30 turbo, forged pistons and AVCS.

A 350 - 450wHp motor is out of your price range and definitely not a daily driver. We have a few guys at the track with them but they are trailered. You don't need this kind of power level to be impressive and fast.
Attached Images

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
An EJ205 built motor cost me 5500 $CAD, with the original TD04 turbo and intercooler. It was 285 Hp / 285 TQ on my biggest COBB tune (Stage 2 17.8psi). I broke it at the track.

I'm putting in a v7 EJ207 now, which cost me 4400 $CAD to buy, but will be 5500 $CAD including installation, IA Performance wiring harness and a new timing belt. It was rated 280 Hp but is night and day better than my built motor.

The EJ207 is hand built by Subaru, has an excellent VF30 turbo, forged pistons and AVCS.

A 350 - 450wHp motor is out of your price range and definitely not a daily driver. We have a few guys at the track with them but they are trailered. You don't need this kind of power level to be impressive and fast.
You explained in your other thread that this motor failure was due to running lean constantly under hard driving conditions. This was due to maintenance and probably lack of monitoring. Along with other variables that could have also lead to the motor failure.

Although I am not saying that the EJ207 is not built better from the beginning it is ridiculous to say a built EJ205 wont last. I ran a 20g, 1000cc injectors, EBCS, etc on a stock EJ205 pushing 21 psi for a year with no issues. Although the power goals are out of reach with the above budget it can still be done on that platform.

If the OP is looking for the best that can be gotten with that Budget. Go with STi rods, Manley pistons, 11mm oil pump, and a Full King Bearing set. I don't know where you are located but there is a machine shop in CT that does an oil mod to the crank an such to prevent the chances of a spun bearing as well.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Sorry @GSMNZ , I didn't mean to suggest that the EJ205 is not a good motor. I think it is an excellent platform for a built motor and loved mine. I'm sorry I killed it somehow.

I was trying to illustrate that the EJ207 is a bit better from the factory with it's better turbo and cylinder heads.

Hopefully I also was able suggest that a super-duper trick motor can be tough to live with day to day, and more modest power goals might be the answer for budget and practicality.
GSMNZ likes this.

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 12:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

The fault with the EJ205 is the fact that it is a completely open deck. At high power numbers the cylinders start to come out of shape or crack due to the stresses. The EJ207/255/257 have stronger cylinders to to the semi closed design of the deck.

@LW_Black4 450whp is completely daily drivable it just depends on the quality of your build. I daily'd my car at 430awhp for almost two years until I got bored and wanted more. I firmly believe I could even daily the car as it currently sits. I would get sick of the rough suspension and loud exhaust far sooner than the damn thing breaks.

@GSMNZ you should clarify which block your engine builder is talking about, I'm betting the 255/257, I've seen so many 205s fail around 375-400awhp. Just FYI a 20G can not flow enough air to kill a 205 block.

@GSMNZ Please read the OPs post, he has a spun bearing. He's not just shooting for an upgrade, there is no way to rebuild one of these motors from a spun bearing for $1800. At a minimum you need to replace all the rods, all the bearings, machine the block and crank, full gasket set, oil pump, probably pistons, and pray to whomever that shavings didn't make it to your heads or turbo and hope the cam journals are still good and your turbo doesn't need a rebuild. Your looking at more than $1800 in parts. Plus you need machine work.
LW_Black4 likes this.

13 Abarth 500 - Stockish
- Matt
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2015, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
The fault with the EJ205 is the fact that it is a completely open deck. At high power numbers the cylinders start to come out of shape or crack due to the stresses. The EJ207/255/257 have stronger cylinders to to the semi closed design of the deck.

@GSMNZ you should clarify which block your engine builder is talking about, I'm betting the 255/257, I've seen so many 205s fail around 375-400awhp. Just FYI a 20G can not flow enough air to kill a 205 block.

@GSMNZ Please read the OPs post, he has a spun bearing. He's not just shooting for an upgrade, there is no way to rebuild one of these motors from a spun bearing for $1800. At a minimum you need to replace all the rods, all the bearings, machine the block and crank, full gasket set, oil pump, probably pistons, and pray to whomever that shavings didn't make it to your heads or turbo and hope the cam journals are still good and your turbo doesn't need a rebuild. Your looking at more than $1800 in parts. Plus you need machine work.
From the wording it seems like the $1800 is for shortblock parts alone. And that the case halves are either bought or on a separate budget like the turbo, etc.

And yes i was talking about the EJ205 with the builder. Unless they went off topic during our conversation when I talked to them it was about my block specifically and what I was capable of doing with it. Larry's Auto Machine - Connecticut - index is a legend in CT with there machining and does almost all (if not all) machining in CT for the performance shops. I layed out my plans for the EJ205 and both Larry's and ECS Performance said 450whp will be capable on my block the way it sits now. Once I hit 500ish it would be better for it to be sleeved.