EJ20 engine build (want critique) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TwoCobras is an unknown
EJ20 engine build (want critique)

Here's the plan. Please critique:

EJ20 stroked to 2.2. CP pistons or comparable, Crower rods, ARP headstuds

Stock heads, cleaned up, valves checked for seal, stock cams, Crower springs and retainers.

AVO 320 turbo (comparable to an 18G). Stock injectors modified to 815cc. Perrin fuel rail. Walbro 255. Perrin pulley.

The car already has a Perrin uppipe, and a 3" turbo back exhaust system.

Don't want a bigger block because this is in a WRX with an automatic trans. The 2.2 will rev faster than the 2.5, and the AVO 320 will have very little, if any, turbo lag. The trans will be modified to handle the increased horsepower (torque converter, etc.).

We're looking for 325 whp. This car will be a daily driver driven to and from a ski area. There is at least 12 miles one way of snow/ice/gravel. Too much whp/torque will probably not be a good thing.

Right now the big worry is whether or not the stock cams coupled with the AVO 320 will provide enough oxygen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
u should get the heads port and polished and should upgrade cams too since you're there already. tq can be controlled with ## right foot, so get as much as u can since ## tearing the engine apart. nice setup btw, i heard those 2.2 stroker kits are badass

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
im in the middle of building the same motor (for work not my car) but with a sti crank and a 20 g. When i get it all put together I will post some dyno results.
+1 for porting your heads

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #4 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I would say a set of STi cams with those heads would be good enough for the power level your looking at. I can't see a reason to get a port and polish spend money else were say suspension of things of the nature. Just my $.02 though.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
the ported heads will slow spool slightly but will help in the top end.

which would help in moving the torque curve slightly to the right to help with driving on snow/gravel.

What about 1mm oversized valves? the more flow you get the more top end you will make.

why upgrade the springs/retainers without upgrading cams?
kelford makes some thats what shoaf uses I think, STi cams but that would probably cost you your left nut and a first born child.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
we tuned his car already, he went with a 2.5 block EJ20 heads, cosworth cams , Crower springs and retainers, and it is now a 5 speed.
I wont disclose his numbers because I belive he is comming back for a retune , because he got stronger gears.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement