Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   EJ20 engine build (want critique) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/ej20-engine-build-want-critique-20535/)

TwoCobras 10-08-2007 12:29 AM

EJ20 engine build (want critique)

Here's the plan. Please critique:

EJ20 stroked to 2.2. CP pistons or comparable, Crower rods, ARP headstuds

Stock heads, cleaned up, valves checked for seal, stock cams, Crower springs and retainers.

AVO 320 turbo (comparable to an 18G). Stock injectors modified to 815cc. Perrin fuel rail. Walbro 255. Perrin pulley.

The car already has a Perrin uppipe, and a 3" turbo back exhaust system.

Don't want a bigger block because this is in a WRX with an automatic trans. The 2.2 will rev faster than the 2.5, and the AVO 320 will have very little, if any, turbo lag. The trans will be modified to handle the increased horsepower (torque converter, etc.).

We're looking for 325 whp. This car will be a daily driver driven to and from a ski area. There is at least 12 miles one way of snow/ice/gravel. Too much whp/torque will probably not be a good thing.

Right now the big worry is whether or not the stock cams coupled with the AVO 320 will provide enough oxygen.

baller_v24 10-08-2007 08:51 AM

u should get the heads port and polished and should upgrade cams too since you're there already. tq can be controlled with ## right foot, so get as much as u can since ## tearing the engine apart. nice setup btw, i heard those 2.2 stroker kits are badass

nagyhead 10-08-2007 09:51 AM

im in the middle of building the same motor (for work not my car) but with a sti crank and a 20 g. When i get it all put together I will post some dyno results.
+1 for porting your heads

psinuse 12-18-2007 07:31 PM

I would say a set of STi cams with those heads would be good enough for the power level your looking at. I can't see a reason to get a port and polish spend money else were say suspension of things of the nature. Just my $.02 though.

WRXKidid775 12-18-2007 08:54 PM

the ported heads will slow spool slightly but will help in the top end.

which would help in moving the torque curve slightly to the right to help with driving on snow/gravel.

What about 1mm oversized valves? the more flow you get the more top end you will make.

why upgrade the springs/retainers without upgrading cams?
kelford makes some thats what shoaf uses I think, STi cams but that would probably cost you your left nut and a first born child.

nagyhead 12-18-2007 09:09 PM

we tuned his car already, he went with a 2.5 block EJ20 heads, cosworth cams , Crower springs and retainers, and it is now a 5 speed.
I wont disclose his numbers because I belive he is comming back for a retune , because he got stronger gears.