EJ20 to EJ25 2.5L short block swap help - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 Old 11-20-2015, 10:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful GSMNZ is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboTuner View Post
I'm thinking of a 18g for a responsive DD with nice top end.
I have a 20g im getting rid of

05 WRX Wagon - 409 AWHP / 334 WTQ Wicked Matt Tuned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

mikea1 is a helpful contributing member
okay here is the whole about my knock, ticking or piston slap ..what ever it is

When I got my wrx Sept or Aug of last year the engine was a mess and I was told the heads both of them ..have been replaced with a new one the seller said its due to valve problem and yeah I can see the heads are somewhat new .. other than that car is pure stock i mean nothing else been replaced and no upgrade parts not a single one.. i was told also the previous owner was a lady..

2 things i notice about my engine when i got it ..

1st - every time you start the engine in the morning you can hear a loud somewhat gear slapping noise it sounded like the engine is running already but the starter is still engaged even if you released the starter key already its like that for like 2 sec. then it goes away. but when you off the engine and re-start it again the noise is gone.. it will only occur again when the engine is off for couple of hours then you start it again.. even to now my engine is like that.. I already overhaul my starter motor but the but the noise is still there..

2nd - a ticking noise every time i hit 3000rpm. note this is sept of last year.. then this ticking noise seem to went away till i totally forgotten about it.. i don't know if its because i installed a new sound system that i cant hear it anymore lol! or its because i switched to rotella 5W 40W oil. Before summer started here in California i change my oil and it was hot here last summer then just when summer is about to end or i think it was only a month ago .. i started to hear again that ticking noise and its a little bit louder now.. i change my oil again just 3 weeks ago but the ticking sound wont go away anymore................ then stupid me i got myself a cobb 3port boost controller i installed it ignoring the warning from cobb that i should have my car tuned upon installing the boost controller convincing myself i can watch for over boosting ..well i was watching it when i hit 17psi i release my gas ..then one time coming home from work this audi cut me .. i quickly step on the gas down shift then ... booom! i hit 22 psi i don't know if my RS type BOV gave 1st releasing the pressure or the waste gauge opened ..but i totally lost power ... and by the time i exited the freeway that ticking sound turned into a loud knocking sound as in it sounded like two wrenches hitting each other very hard every time i hit 3000 rpm... told myself that's it ive blown my engine ..but the following day when i use my car everything is normal i have power no more loud knocking wrench hitting each other sound. but that ticking sound turned a bit more louder somewhat like a knock ... anyways after that i started driving my car very slow like an old lady drive and i started looking for answers .. till last Monday i removed my 3port boost controller started to drive a bit harder or faster and that knocking sound went back to ticking sound .. this is crazy!
post #18 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 03:52 AM

boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to boo-key is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Video of said knock?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

post #19 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
rod knock:
that distinctive knock noise is obvious.

piston slap:
that low chugga chugga noise when hes off throttle off throttle.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #20 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
rod knock: pull the motor and rebuild. depending how soon you catch it is how much its going to cost in repairs. from a few hundred dollars to a whole new engine.

piston slap: i dont want to use the word *normal*, but its pretty common throughout subarus without any failure.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #21 of 23 Old 11-21-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

waaaahoo ! thanks again titter ! I think its its a piston slap for me ! I've seen some videos from youtube similar to mine and they all point out its a rod knock that's why at 1st I was assuming its really a rod knocking .. anyways now that its a slap issue which is somewhat normal I guess this hybrid project is "scrap for now" !

next week i'll replace my timing belt,oil pump and water pump.. I got a perrin lightweight crank pulley last week i'll install it too.

then I like to get 3 more upgrades before I'll have it tuned.

- excedy stage 1 clutch with lightweight flywheel
- 560 sti injectors do you guys think this is okay? I have a 16G turbo ( and I think I have issues with my injectors right now i'll start a new thread about it )
- unrestricted uppipe
post #22 of 23 Old 11-22-2015, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful RoboTuner is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You should really take off the BOV and 3-port EBCS as they will cause harm when untuned. Make sure you do the whole timing kit as well as all regular maintenance before you do anything for power, I didn't and learned the hard way. That cat-less UP is a great idea though and does NOT require a tune FYI.

Piston slap is common with CP high compression pistons (I had them and they were as loud as that video) and that itself is one reason some shy away from them. I if you're having ECU related issues and piston slap I can almost bet you have the CP high comp pistons and maybe even new connecting rods (most smart people do this while the motor is already out for mods down the road).

Hybrid builds don't last as long as others due to their extremely high compression ratios and they require the heads be machined to match the bottom end as well as valve work, etc.

Oh and if you find out you have CP high comp pistons and they're trashed, I have a very lightly used set that just needs new wrist pins and rings.
post #23 of 23 Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bro's good news and bad news

good news -- I'm proceeding with my hybrid project !

Bad news -- I'm proceeding with my hybrid project lol!

I'm getting an EJ25 short block today it came from an STI.

I'll probably start a new thread for this project. Which I will really need your help building this hybrid engine.