Subaru WRX Forum banner

EJ's 257 etc.

5K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  xKylez 
#1 ·
Where can I find a block or something under 300. I am not sure if this is where to post.

#4 ·
Yeah about $500 is the right price but not $300. Still I don't know I would buy a used bare block case without a machine shop checking it out.

Maybe your best bet is to contact a local machine shop and see if they have any. The machine shop I deal with usually has extra ones so I would believe that others shops that deal with them might have extra ones on the side as well

#11 ·
Yup those are case halves. But no pics are going to show you the tru wear on a cylinder wall. Over time things happen to where they might even go kinda ovalish. To the point where they can't be bored out an fixed. Maybe there is wear by the crank that you can't see. Without a machine shop comparing the original specs of new engine to a used engine you truly have no idea what you are getting. The tolerance is so small... do you want to take that chance?

#10 ·
Oh ok. I don't really want to go on ebay because people can rip you off. Craigslist is easier because you can see before you buy. I dont have any shops near either to get an engine. At this point im just trying to find an ej257

#16 ·
if your building the motor, there is no diference. the ej255 and ej257 case halves are exactly the same. (might even be the same part#)

if you buying a longblock, well then yes theres a huge difference.

either building or buying... a motor is going to run you, on average, about $3000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.