Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Displacement and Internals for a EJ205 Rebuild (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/displacement-internals-ej205-rebuild-35018/)

LW_Black4 05-22-2013 06:12 PM

Displacement and Internals for a EJ205 Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
When I eventually rebuild my WRX 2.0L twin-cam turbo for Stage 2 power levels, [B]what general approach do you suggest?[/B]

1. Performance shop familiar with Subaru performance engines,
2. Oversized (o/s) forged pistons, and
3. Internal oil control measures (baffle & windage tray, pan design).

Is there an appreciable displacement increase with o/s pistons?

pzr2874 05-22-2013 07:49 PM

You wanting to stay in your area?

psinuse 05-22-2013 07:50 PM

Basic stock shortblock for that power level. You don't need anything fancy for the simple bolt ons that are needed for a stg. 2, then again it really depends on what you intended to do with the car.

LW_Black4 05-22-2013 09:01 PM

[quote=psinuse;306458]Basic stock shortblock for that power level. You don't need anything fancy for the simple bolt ons that are needed for a stg. 2, then again it really depends on what you intended to do with the car.[/quote]

I'm thinking about modest improvements in a balanced way for the WRX. I do Nav rallies, a few Autocross and other Lapping day events, all for fun. Maybe 7-10 various events per season. This year I've signed up for the Time Attack School at Mosport, as an example.

It'll continue to be my daily driver, but I have the good fortune of walking to work.

psinuse 05-22-2013 09:17 PM

[quote=LW_Black4;306530]I'm thinking about modest improvements in a balanced way for the WRX. I do Nav rallies, a few Autocross and other Lapping day events, all for fun. Maybe 7-10 various events per season. This year I've signed up for the Time Attack School at Mosport, as an example.

It'll continue to be my daily driver, but I have the good fortune of walking to work.[/quote]

Stock shortblock would be my suggestion. I drag raced, road coursed and rallied my car, plus a daily driver for almost 10 years, other than my own mistake it would probably still be on the original motor.

LW_Black4 05-22-2013 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[B]Would I have the cylinders bored .020 over and leave the rod and main bearing sizes standard?[/B]

Rebuild kits look like they come with pistons, and I'd want to remove the typical tapered wear at the top of the cylinders.

psinuse 05-23-2013 05:16 AM

Usually those pistons are stock cast pistons. To rid of the taper you'd need to have the block bored and honed...of course that is dependent on how out of round the cylinders are. Talk to a machinist about the block though and be prepared to pay big money for it as well.

LW_Black4 05-23-2013 12:21 PM

[quote=psinuse;306602]To rid of the taper you'd need to have the block bored and honed...of course that is dependent on how out of round the cylinders are. Talk to a machinist about the block though and be prepared to pay big money for it as well.[/quote]

I would have assumed a bore and hone was standard on a rebuild, along with oversized pistons to match. [B]Is this not typical of most rebuilds?[/B]

LW_Black4 05-23-2013 12:23 PM

[quote=psinuse;306602]Usually those pistons are stock cast pistons.[/quote]

Is there any value specifying forged pistons in the rebuild kit, if stock connecting rods are sufficient, [B]or are these 2 upgrades usually paired?[/B]