Cosworth or Crawford - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
Cosworth or Crawford

I'd like to ask the club members' opinions regarding which engine; the Cosworth 2.6 Billet Crank Long Block or the Crawford S5 2.7 Long Block is best in terms of reliability, efficiency and quality.
Please share any comments regarding these two engine builds and builders.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd get the 2.7 long block simply because it's a little bigger But other than that, I really don't know much of anything about either one and my opinion shouldn't count. I'm curious what everyone else has to say though.

John
07 WRX
#3 Old 04-29-2010, 11:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
In terms of reliability, going with any stroker kit will actually lower it once you're pushing high power levels through them. I would bet a 2.5L would be more reliable since it's generally not bored out like a stroker kit is.

Personally, I would want to go with the cosworth because I believe they add displacement only by adding stroke, and not boring the cylinders. That, and well it's Cosworth. They're awesome.

Also, Crawford tends to use a lot of the stock STi parts in their blocks and replace what they need to. They're also a bit less expensive. The crawford block will generally have the stock bearings, crank, and maybe a few other items, whereas the cosworth will have cosworth bearings, their billet crank, etc.

-Chris
#4 Old 04-29-2010, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bboy LiMiT is an unknown
Garage
Doesn't stroking the engine also reduce the reliability and life of the engine?
#5 Old 04-29-2010, 05:28 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
They're both overpriced. I'd get this:
Product Detail

and this:
Product Detail

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I read somewhere that the stage 5 Raw block needs converted to dry sump if you plan on using the 9500 rpm limit. Other than that, its way more than what I need. I settled on the stage 3 Raw block. Which is sitting at my tuners, just waiting for the scheduled install date.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#7 Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yes, most engines to rev over 9k or so need a dry sump oil system, and that runs 3k by itself.

And mosc, even that block is too much for most builds... Yes it's half the price of the cosworth, but you can have a more than capable bottom end by going with the the "track" series block for $4,300.

-Chris
#8 Old 04-30-2010, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

mlemjs is an unknown
Nice suggestion on the dry sump system and the alternate engine manufacturer. I'm going to have to do some additional research. You've just made my decision just that much harder. LOL