Cams cams cams cams - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
2.5L and 2.0L cams have different centerlines. I think the of set is 15 degrees if memory serves me right.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Delta customs are usually a bit more than what you can get off the shelf from Kelford or Gsc, something around $1,000-1,200 for a set. Kelford will do custom grinds too though, I don't think they charge extra for it either.

I don't have experience but I'm sticking with GSC Stage I's for mine. Stock turbo will be used after I get done building the engine, but I figure I'll go the rotated GT30 sized setup or Dom 1.5/2.5 sized turbo... Somewhere around 50 lb/min.

In your case, GT35 size with a 9k redline I would want it to breathe more up top and would get a little more lift, while keeping it around 272 duration. I don't know that your heads are holding you back as much as the turbo right now. Just about every other 20g falls off at that 6,000-6,500 area, even on 2.5's. The best would be upping the turbo now and seeing where the power is made at, then changing out the cams.

-Chris
post #18 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
Delta customs are usually a bit more than what you can get off the shelf from Kelford or Gsc, something around $1,000-1,200 for a set. Kelford will do custom grinds too though, I don't think they charge extra for it either.

I don't have experience but I'm sticking with GSC Stage I's for mine. Stock turbo will be used after I get done building the engine, but I figure I'll go the rotated GT30 sized setup or Dom 1.5/2.5 sized turbo... Somewhere around 50 lb/min.

In your case, GT35 size with a 9k redline I would want it to breathe more up top and would get a little more lift, while keeping it around 272 duration. I don't know that your heads are holding you back as much as the turbo right now. Just about every other 20g falls off at that 6,000-6,500 area, even on 2.5's. The best would be upping the turbo now and seeing where the power is made at, then changing out the cams.
They are stock unported 2.0L heads. I looked into a GT35 to add to the mix, but currently my budget just isn't allowing much. I was told Delta Cam were only around $600 or so for custom regrinds... $1000 for regrinds.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #19 of 25 Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^Regrinds are about that much, I was referring to a custom set of new cams.

Unported 2.0L heads dont' flow as bad as you think. They're definitely not the root of the power falling off at 6400. I'd say #1 is the size of the turbo, #2 is cams, #3 head ports/valves.

If I could guess if you get head work and cams the power will still fall off pretty hard by 7k. You'll make more than a stock sti at that level, but it's still falling hard from peak.

-Chris
post #20 of 25 Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
^Regrinds are about that much, I was referring to a custom set of new cams.

Unported 2.0L heads dont' flow as bad as you think. They're definitely not the root of the power falling off at 6400. I'd say #1 is the size of the turbo, #2 is cams, #3 head ports/valves.

If I could guess if you get head work and cams the power will still fall off pretty hard by 7k. You'll make more than a stock sti at that level, but it's still falling hard from peak.
I was referring to custom regrinds costing that much. I'm thinking of doing just a complete upgrade turbo, ported heads and cams. I know the heads aren't the biggest issue with power, although ported heads with the right cams will give a major increase in power, but planning ahead is better than having to pull the motor twice.
For the record I'm making more power than even a modified STi...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #21 of 25 Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
For the record I'm making more power than even a modified STi...
I call BS.... You're not even into the 10's and you have a 20g. Stock turbo STi's are faster.

-Chris
post #22 of 25 Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like a challenge... lol

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #23 of 25 Old 12-10-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
I call BS.... You're not even into the 10's and you have a 20g. Stock turbo STi's are faster.
Sarcasm?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #24 of 25 Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm thinking so Keith. He never puts up emoticons.... He lacks what we would call "the social skill".

What movie is that from?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #25 of 25 Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I'm thinking so Keith. He never puts up emoticons.... He lacks what we would call "the social skill".

What movie is that from?
Don't know. I guess I should state for the record that I am making more than some modified STi's. Other than vf52 equipped ones running 11's..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...