Cams cams cams cams - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cams cams cams cams

So I have been giving alot of thought today about upgrading my cams to something more suited for the rpm range of my engine. So I have begun my search and was wanting some input from people on here and the choice they made and their likes dislikes about the cams they selected. Thanks guys.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-14-2012, 06:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Power goals?
#3 Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I wanna be the fastest vf52 in the world....lol
Not real sure at the moment. I am just wanting to see where everyone else is with there choices...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I usually recommend stock cams to people for the sake of driveability. If you're running a VF, definitely stay with stock cams. If you do decide to get something, don't go very aggressive. I went with GSC 272s and they are too aggressive for a street car IMHO. I make more peak power but I make nothing in RPMs that you regularly cruise at.
#5 Old 10-15-2012, 05:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well I am currently running a 20g and am looking to upgrade to a gt35. I don't start making decent power until about 3400 then it's on all the way to 6900 or so, but I think the stock cams are holding me back.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have a set of Kelford 264 Street Performance Cams in my car and I like them a lot. Coupled with a 20G, they make nice power everywhere with room to grow in the future. Although 272s sound really cool, I think they're too harsh for a daily driver.

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well my car is less of a daily driver and more of a "I wanna drive a quick fun car". Well with what i have been reading moat peiple go with the 264s for a 20g. Well guess i will do a little more searching.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well my car is less of a daily driver and more of a "I wanna drive a quick fun car". Well with what i have been reading moat peiple go with the 264s for a 20g. Well guess i will do a little more searching.
My car is the same. My 20G/Hybrid/stock cam setup was ridiculously more fun than my current Dom3/EJ257/cammed one. You just have to go so far out of your way to get into boost and make any reasonable amount of power. It feels like all gears are 5th gear, having for floor it for 5 seconds before anything happens.
#9 Old 10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Keep in mind I have a very low compression ratio(6.8:1) so couple that with a TDO6 20g and you have lag for days. If I had it do build over again I would use the longer rods instead of factory STi rods, but man it was so easy to find this stuff and it has put up with a serious amount of abuse.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I use GSC Stage 1 Cams 268/225 intake and 266/225 exhaust and my engine is a happy lil 2.5 EJ257. LOL

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I use GSC Stage 1 Cams 268/225 intake and 266/225 exhaust and my engine is a happy lil 2.5 EJ257. LOL
I'm currently running Spec C cams they are AVCS so I am not using them to their full potential because I am running them in standard heads. The are a little more aggressive than stock USDM STi cams, but I really think they are keeping untapped power hidden from me. Heads make huge power gains on any motor and I am really rethinking mine...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

So I was chatting with a friend of mine today about Subarus and cam timing, blah, blah, blah. He mentioned the fact he had Delta Camshaft make him some custom grinds for is 98 Impreza Sti conversion. Said they can make just about anything you wanted. So I dug up the specs on my cams and found out the lift on mine are shorter than the USDM STi, but have a longer duration. So why not combined the 2 and get a bit more aggressive cams, but still staying very streetable...Hmmm I wonder if this will cost be $8,000,000,000....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
the bragging rights alone would be worth at least $8,000,000,000...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#14 Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
the bragging rights alone would be worth at least $8,000,000,000...
Actually my friend only paid $400 for his, but they were regrinds... He swears they are really good cams, so i am just waiting to hear back from them.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

RomeWRX is an unknown
I just purchased a set of Kelford 199-E 272 cams. They are actually spec'd as 274 intakte, 270 exhaust. I didn't check the profile for everyone who replied, but I'm sure the turbo combination and 2.0L vs 2.5L would make a big difference in how a cam will perform. I'm personally building a 2.5L hybrid, and I'm hoping these don't hurt me down low while giving me gains up top.