buying a wrx with blown engine? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-06-2011, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

dunnp2 is an unknown
buying a wrx with blown engine?

I have a '98 legacy outback that's not worth fixing anymore, but I just replaced the head gaskets in march and the engine (EJ25D?) seems to be holding strong.

I just found a deal on an '05 wrx with rod knock on the crank shaft. (EJ205?)

After reading on here for a while, I see that a lot of you are going with hybrid engines. Can I just take the block that I have and drop it in the wrx with the 205 heads? What else would I need to buy? Is there any other voodoo that I'd need to work to get it running well?

Any advice on the best course of action? Mechanics looked at the rest of the car and said it's all in pretty good shape. I haven't seen it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It really depends... With rod knock it could have put enough babbitt through the oil system to have messed up the heads that they're not salvageable.

I would say worst case prepare to drop a new/good used long block in, best case you can just replace the crank, bearing, rods, oil cooler, oil pump and give the rest a good cleaning.

You can swap in the 2.5L bottom end onto your heads, but spend $400 and get the 205 heads machined to fit the 2.5L cylinders otherwise there tends to be issues with reliability over time.

-Chris
#3 Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
The phase I 2.5 ('97-'99) is not one to be attempting that hybrid set-up unless you plan on replacing most of the internals. They are prone to spinning rod bearings themselves. Unfortunately that old 2.5 would be worth more just to sell complete to someone who needs it for another older Outback or Forester. The shop I work at tosses a couple of those a week in the scrap aluminum pile.
#4 Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Plus, the 98' outback engine is probably a open deck N/A (Natural Aspiration) engine. Not worth using a open deck engine in a forced induction (F/I) set-up.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae