Built block or build my own? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Built block or build my own?

Im just fishing in the dark here, Im looking around for a new short block. Ive seen plenty and I know the cosworth and crawford and the top dogs, but I do not have 5-7k to spend on just a block. I was wondering if anyone has a BC stroker kit, or had there stock block machined? Just trying to compare built block vs building one. Ive also seen a AMR block in ny using forged pistons and crank with stock sti everything else, claiming to handle 500hp for 3k. If anyone has any thoughts on this or has one any feedback would be great. I have a garrett 3582R rotated coming soon and I want the block to be up for it. Any advice or insight would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
5k-6k for a built block isn't all that bad... believe it or not.... piece all the things you want and add labor and time in.... bet it's pretty close with NO warranty....

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#3 Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Well if you're looking at JUST the short block (no acessories, and other things to support that turbo) you can do it yourself for 2-3k. For a reference, here's my list. I dropped the block and crank off at the machine shop last night

Bold is what you'll need at a MINIMUM to do the short block
Block/Crank $375.00
Machine Work $250.00
Bearings - ACL Race $93.90
OEM Gasket Kit/Assembly Lube/Case Bolts $250.00
Wiseco Pistons/Manley Rods $712.50

Cosworth High Pressure Oil Pump $315.40
Killer B Optimal Oil Pan & Ultimate Pickup $615.00
Group N Engine Mounts $130.00
Carbonetic Pro-Blade Clutch/Fly ABS23132-16 $1,349.00
Gates Timing Belt/OEM Tensioner/Gates Water Pump $297.35
Supertech Dual Coil Springs/Ti Retainers $204.25
Injectors - 1000cc ID's $427.50
Turbo Inlet- TBD $250.00
KS Tech Big MAF CAI - 73mm $240.00
APR Head Studs/1 Step Colder Spark Plugs $210.00
Brian Crower Stage II Cams $645.05
Heads - Clean, PnP, 3-angle valve job $600.00
Turbo - Blouch 20g-xt 10cm^2 Hotside $1,200.00
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump and install kit $82.65
Total Cost $8,247.60

Honestly though, expect to do about all that to make use of a GT35 sized turbo. These are also my "hookup" prices, and that saved me about $350 overall.

-Chris
#4 Old 10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I'm thinking that your budget doesn't allow for the setup you want to run. Keep in mind that that AMR figure with only pistons is accurate for 500 chp, but not whp. You're also going to need to step up to stronger gears as well. A lot of parts are going to start breaking on your car with a setup like that.
#5 Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
Budget is not the issue, I love my car and i will spend whats needed, I was trying to understand if the buck is really worth the bang. I have to deploy back to afghanistan again, not to many places to spend money. A year is plenty of time to save. Im fully prepared for the build and the time and money it will take. Just dont wanna waste money on a name if it's just hype. The rotated kit will sit and wait for the block and trans as well in my garage. Im trying to build it and put all supporting mods on at once.
#6 Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue REX 9 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to blue REX 9
damn thats crazy red rex. good luck out there, but hey did you blow your engine ? or you just wanted to get some power right away? just curious because your car must be brand spankin new. if it were me and i had the money i would just buy a built block . its alot less stress and so much easier to do if you have the money. if you dont have the money and you have the time AND you are a great mechanic doing it yourself can save alot of money . not a great mechanic myself i dont have that option .
#7 Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If you trust yourself, the machine work you get done, and the parts. Then you can do it yourself. I don't trust myself and I wouldn't have a lot of help. So, I got my engine built. I'll leave it at that....about my engine.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 10-08-2010, 05:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Hell, get the Crawford built block and sell your old one with 500miles on it for 2-3K..... then all you've spent on a crawford block is 2-3K....

Crawford isn't just a name.... Weigh all options....

YUM:

http://store.crawfordperformance.com/store/products/51

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#9 Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Awwww c'mon... Building engines is fun. Mine is going to take forever just because of how little I'm saving towards it, and the fact I want to pay the car off before I pull the engine out of it...

Either way, having a spare block and crank to have and build while you still drive the car is a fun process.

-Chris
#10 Old 10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Red wrx 10 is an unknown
I only have a 2,000 miles on it and already 287whp on 90 oct. They actually had to tone down my tune and boost to make it safe for the poor octane.The army is switching my station to NY next month. Where higher octane and more tuning options. The reason for the block is my good buddy who got a 35r and simular mods destroyed his block. Ironicly I have a machine shop across the street from my house in alaska. But everything in alaska is ridiciuosly priced. And being the only shop in town has about a 2 month waiting list. The AMR block i was speaking of comes as a direct replacment. cams valves and all. I will try and investigate these blocks more, Crawford is a given, I know they build quality motors. I will have to give them serious thought. Thank you
#11 Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its called a Built Long Block....Bottom end with heads, valves, and cams.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae