Building an EJ22G Powerplant [from the Impreza STi 22B GC8 Series (JDM)] - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mosc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
Building an EJ22G Powerplant [from the Impreza STi 22B GC8 Series (JDM)]

Would it be worth the challenges trying to replicate this fabulous powerplant, or just use more available parts to target similar power levels if one were looking to build a separate performance replacement engine? I'm dreaming at this point, but all projects have to start somewhere. Ha ha.

EJ22G [from Wikpedia]
Phase two 2.2 litre closed deck, based on the EJ20K STI engine. Uses identical cylinder heads and turbocharger but with a unique closed deck 2.2L crank case. The pistons are factory forged items, the connecting rods are stock. Although being closed deck, the block does not feature oil squirters for piston cooling, opposed to the EJ20 closed deck block and the USDM-only Legacy EJ22T closed deck block.
• Displacement: 2212 cc
• Bore: 96.9 mm
• Stroke: 75.0 mm
• Compression Ratio: 8.0:1
• Valvetrain: DOHC
• Fuel Delivery multi point fuel injection

EJ22G Turbo DOHC
• Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm
• Torque: 362.8 N•m (268 lb•ft) @ 3200 rpm

Usage:
• Impreza STi 22B GC8 series(JDM)
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2013, 03:34 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
In short, no.

It's a EJ motor, like all EJ motors. It has pretty much all of the goodies that found their way into later year EJ motors so it still feels "up to date" but it's only real advantage over the later EJ motors is it's solid block ("closed deck"). That makes things like forged pistons easier to deal with and can lead to a more reliable motor at absurd power levels.

If you want a closed deck EJ, the best way to do it is to track down an EJ22T block (NOT the EJ22G). I wouldn't take anything but the bare aluminum block and build everything up from that. While you're at it, stroke it out some. I think a lot of EJ motor problems relate to too much piston head area. The EJ22T has smaller piston heads and stroking it can give you nearer to the displacement of the EJ257.

Throw on some USDM STi heads so you can use a regular old 32-bit USDM ECU and you're in business. With an STi 6-speed behind it I bet you could tune it up to 400 WHP and beat on it all day for 100k miles.
LW_Black4 likes this.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Truth be told that closed deck block has been know to have coolant issues. Just stick with the newer blocks and if you really wanna build a 2.2, throw a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block and call it a day.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I like the short stroke (keeps piston speed down), don't need more displacement, and would only be seeking the 22B stock power levels (Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm), so likely don't even need a closed deck block.

Where would I start to end up with a motor like this, including sourcing suitable heads, turbocharger and mating ECU? I'm talking about a swap, as I would keep the original motor for putting back together stock, at some later time.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#5 Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
For a power upgrade path for my EJ205 2.0L, how about:

1. 16G-XT turbo,
2. OEM '04 STi turbo-back exhaust,
3. Open source tune, and
4. (hopefully) stock injectors?

Targetting the EJ22G's power levels above of: "Horsepower: 280 PS (206 kW; 276 bhp) @ 6000 rpm", with a daily driver/occasional track application.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
#6 Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd go with bigger like a 550cc. "pink" injector.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...