Subaru WRX Forum banner

Broken Piston

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ArmyWRX 
#1 · (Edited)
On my car i have a cat back perrin exhaust and greddy blowoff valve that have been on my car for just over 1000 miles and the car only has 19000 miles on it. A chunk of the piston broke off from the bottom below the compression rings but the car still ran just not like it had 300 horse any more. its never been ran low on oil and the other pistons are still like new and subaru doesnt want to warranty it. the field rep for subaru never even looked at it after the tear down and just said no, I think something is definately not right on subarus part, and that the problem is possibly a stress fracture in the piston from a factory flaw and they are just trying to screw me over. any opinions on this and what i should do would be great. ps it was cylinder number 2.

The rep finally looked at my car and still is saying no because of the cat back exhaust and because there might have been other exhaust mods on it before i owned it which is B.S. once again subaru doesnt stand behind theyre shit, dont trust them, time for an attorney.

#3 ·
I have not taken my motor apart yet.. BUT I THINK thats THE SAME this that happened to me..

Something broke in my motor.. #4 cyl and it only has 25 PSI of compression in it.
BUt the car still runs pritty well....but not like it used to...

I never tried to have it done under warrenty...I want to build it!!!!
But I am sure thay would have said NO to the warranty claim.

BUT , anyways, that sucks !!
I am sorry to hear that!!

#4 ·
pistons just dont break apart! especialy in an 06 or a brand new car! there must be somthing else at fault here, think about how many subarus are on the road in the US this is the first time i have ever heard anything remotly close to a chunk or piston coming off.WTF

#5 ·
Just to chime in on the Subaru bashing, I took my car to the dealership yesterday to make an appointment to get my passenger side front axle/c.v. joint replaced (grease had been leaking from it and slinging onto the stock downpipe and even on the Helix DP ever since 800 miles on the car). I had been to busy to take it in since it takes a good half hour to get to the nearest dealership. Granted I have a very stock looking 06 wagon and even with the car sitting at idle you wouldnt know that I had TBE, Vf39, MBC, CAI and STI tmic. I go into the service dept. with my car parked right in front of the glass door and talk to the guy behind the counter to schedule an appointment. His first question to me is "what have you done to the car (mods)?" . I tell him "just TBE". He then tells me to watch out with doing "modifications" to the car otherwise he will have to "flag" it to Subaru. I then tell him that my exhaust has nothing to do with a bad cv joint and he tells me that maybe I ripped the outer boot when installing the DP(even though the outer boot is not ripped, but he has`nt seen the boot so how would he know). Keep in mind that a) I am a mechanic, b) I am wearing my blue coveralls from work and c) I told him that I noticed the grease @ 800 miles on the stock DP and I will bring that in for him to see. So I feel like I might just cancel my appointment with that dealership and go to another. It seems like he is already "out to screw me" and he did`nt get any closer to my car than from behind the counter so how the hell is he going to say I effed somehting up ? I don`t know, maybe I am wrong and maybe they have seen too many "teenage adjustments"!
Just my little experience with SOA so far!

#9 ·
A couple of weeks to around a month depending on machine shop etc to build a block. And why put the same shitty pistons back in there? Better to upgrade while the engine is apart. You are right through, there are a lot of 2.5l motors out there, but this definately seems to be their major failing. Broken ring lands.

#10 ·
depends where it broke on the pistin.... if it did any damage to the block.... it could be that subaru had a few bad batchs of pistons.... that would make since to me because there are so many cars that havent had a problem.... take the car to a different dealer....

#12 ·
that depends on if you go with a higher compression piston..... if its just one and it didnt hert the block and scoring or other wise get a stock pisten and save your self the money.... if it did damage your block spend the money and have the block bored out and get some bigger pistons.... no replacement for dispacment.... get some h beam rods and push 24psi!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.