Break-in method advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Break-in method advice

I'll be reassembling and firing up my freshly rebuilt EJ20 on Tues. Here's the break-in technique I've used on fresh race engines for the Porsche (2.5 water cooled, nikasil bores) with success.

Turn key with coil disconnected until oil pressure develops, using conventional oil. After pressure is present, start and idle until thermostat opens (bleed air out of cooling system) After reaching operating temp, drive conservatively to open road or track. Once there, WOT to 5k rpm in third gear, then all the way off throttle too create crankcase vacuum and seat new rings. Repeat three times. Change filter and oil to full synthetic (high zinc content for rod bearings) Drive the snot out of it !!

Is there any reason this method shouldn't be good for my beloved Subie ? Please share your break-in methods. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
for me I just like to follow the subaru instructions which say drive light and keep it under 4K for the first 1000 miles then beat the living snot out of it

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 06-12-2009, 10:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
My car had 36 miles on it when I bought it - and most of those were from when the dealer drove it from the Rockville dealership to the Frederick dealership. I just took it really easy for the first 1,000 miles (never shifting above 3,500 - 4,000 rpm), then drove normally from 1,000 to 3,000 miles. At 3,000 miles on the dot, I switched to synthetic oil. I don't have any experience with freshly rebuilt engines, but that's what I did when I considered mine brand new. I bet the factory probably has a process similar to what you described that they put their brand new engines through before they release them to the dealerships, but that's a complete guess.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Matt @ 555 Motorsports says:
Quote:
what i usually recommend is

no boost for 500 miles

change the oil at 20 miles, 100 miles, 500 miles, 1000 miles, and 2000 miles with NON- synthetic.

After 500miles go into boost a little, and don't go to redline too much. Just enough to vary RPM and help break the motor in. After the 1000 mile oil change...have some fun
Another artical: Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#5 Old 06-15-2009, 09:57 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
The engine is almost complete and will go in the car tomorrow. Any other methods for break in to share ? The above link supports my proposed method. I saw that linked on the "other" subaru forums. Thanks
#6 Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
FAQ

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.