Boo's 5 year plan. Let's talk internals! (get in here Keith, Kirt, John...exct) - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Good find. I wish there had been a video like that when I started on mine. Granted I have years of building experience, but nothing like a Subaru though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
This is an AWESOME share!
Yeah, that guy has a couple of really awesome in-depth videos that cover almost everything. He seems to really know what he's doing also.

Question...is the 09 legacy gt short block the exact same as my 06 wrx? I know they are both ej255's but when i search gasket kits i get different results for each. If they are not the same what's the difference? Do they have the same bore? Are the lgt rods forged? Does the 09 lgt have the nitrile (whatever it is) crank?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah 09 is when the upgraded the crank.
turmic likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#48 Old 10-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post

Question...is the 09 legacy gt short block the exact same as my 06 wrx? I know they are both ej255's but when i search gasket kits i get different results for each. If they are not the same what's the difference? Do they have the same bore? Are the lgt rods forged? Does the 09 lgt have the nitrile (whatever it is) crank?
Sorry I meant to ask if it had a forged crank, not nitrided. My research is telling me only the 2011+ sti has the forged crank. Is this correct?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#49 Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Interesting if its true...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#50 Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Pretty sure all Subaru cranks are forged sans maybe earlier models.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#51 Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Damnit!!! Got my terms wrong again! Induction hardened is what rally sport direct says it is. Here's their description.

This crankshaft from Subaru is their latest and greatest factory EJ crankshaft. The crank is induction hardened to be extremely hard and reduce the chances of wear and damage from foreign material.

This is the OEM Induction Hardened crankshaft used in the 2011+ STI but it is suitable for most EJ255/257 motors.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#52 Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Advertising....thats all that is
turmic likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#53 Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Okay, so I picked up my project shortblock today. Took it apart to inspect it. Most of the bearings were worn pretty bad and there are some light marks on the cylinder walls. If I buy new bearings and a new crank there will be no need for machining there right? Can I get the cylinders honed and still use stock sized pistons or should I just go the next size up? I can take pictures of any surface you might want to see to help me out. Here she is. Im calling it project mustang killer simply because all the guys at work have mustangs and like to talk trash. I beat one of their cobra's (on a closed course :thumbup: ) and he went and bought a tuner for it and got me back. Revenge will be mine one day though!
Attached Images

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#54 Old 10-20-2013, 05:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

New crank and bearings is fine, but still get the main's checked for straightness and alignment. Cylinders, that really depends. Have a machinist check the bores to see how far out of spec they are then determine if you just need to hone it or full on bore. Also don't forget to get the block tanked.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#55 Old 10-20-2013, 06:23 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Would the machine work I may possibly need be something any machine shop can do or would I need someone who has experience with subaru engines ? The reason I ask is because there are none around here with subaru experience. I think I am going to attempt this build myself.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#56 Old 10-20-2013, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
As long as they have a cylinder gauge that's worth a damn...any shop that has hone and boring experience should be able to do it. I'd think and they should have a tank to clean all the little shavings out.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#57 Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Okay, do I need to have the pistons first to take to them or will I just need to tell them what size the pistons are? Do I need to also tell them piston clearances and ring gap? Will I need to factor in coatings when doing all this? The skirt coating I want says it is about 0.008 thick. Where can I find the clearances for a Subaru engine with forged pistons? Sorry for all the stupid questions (present and future). I will probably have a lot of them.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#58 Old 10-20-2013, 10:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Okay, do I need to have the pistons first to take to them or will I just need to tell them what size the pistons are? Do I need to also tell them piston clearances and ring gap? Will I need to factor in coatings when doing all this? The skirt coating I want says it is about 0.008 thick. Where can I find the clearances for a Subaru engine with forged pistons? Sorry for all the stupid questions (present and future). I will probably have a lot of them.
Any good auto machinist can find out what the clearances are for the block. Now if it has to be bored then yes make sure you have the pistons before boring the block. As far as the coating goes again the machinist should know what to do. As far as who you have do it, well that's another story. I had to drive 2hrs away to have mine done. none of the machine shops around here would even look at it. Also Subaru engines aren't your typical V8 design or typical 4 cylinder design either. I highly recommend finding someone with experience in doing these types of motors for your machining. Clearances I have a copy of the manual around here somewhere..I'm sure you can google search it if need be. Forged pistons will come with clearances for it.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#59 Old 10-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Awesome! Thanks guys!

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#60 Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Dropped my block off at the machine shop today. I guess this thread will just serve as my build thread. I will keep post #6 updated with parts and prices.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!