Boo's 5 year plan. Let's talk internals! (get in here Keith, Kirt, John...exct) - Subaru WRX Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Boo's 5 year plan. Let's talk internals! (get in here Keith, Kirt, John...exct)

The intent of this thread is to gain insight on internal modifications. Specifically what the most cost effective route for my goals will be. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to bolt-ons (choosing and installing) but, not so much on internals. I would love to gain knowledge through your experience and suggestions in this thread. I have always been most interested in increasing power output of my wrx but, at the same time am timid because of the fear of catastrophic failure. I would rather have overkill in the area of combating this type of failure than go on any farther than my current stage 2+ set-up. Currently my car has 68xxx miles on it and everything discussed in this thread will be assuming when it hits 100k the engine is still in good working order. I estimate that at the rate I'm going it will take me about 5 more years before I hit 100k. My goals are 350awhp on e85. anything north of that would be great but, not required. Rather than just do the timing belt service then I would like to pull the engine and rebuild it to handle more power. I will be removing the engine myself but, am not comfortable with the rebuild unless I really learn a TON between now and then about it. Rather than modify my car any farther now, I will be hoarding parts as finances allow for this build. This is where you guys come in! This may seem like a large list but, keep in mind the amount of time I have allowed to acquire my goals. without further ado here's my list.

Forged pistons
connecting rods?
Bearings?
Machine work
AOS
ID 1000cc injectors (I plan on going e85)
parallel fuel mod
aftermarket fuel rails
20g turbo?
gs tmic, splitter, i/c hoses
sti 6speed trans
r180 rear diff
dccd controller
new clutch (oem) and possibly lightweight flywheel
oem water pump
oem timing belt and tensionersis
Studs?
gs thermostat
killer b oil pickup and windage tray
Head work?
stiffer engine and trans mounts
gaskets?
cobb ss with kartboy bushings

This list is not set in stone and I am open to suggestions. I only want what I will need for this build and not a bunch of extras. Remember this is a budget minded build. Now for the questions. What brand, size of pistons? Do they usually come with all hardware (rings, pins, exct...) If not what will I need? What kind of machine work will I need done? Will I have to increase bore? Should I get coated pistons? Connecting rod suggestions? What if anything will have to be done about/with the crank? What about bearings? Will I need any head work done? What kind of gaskets should I plan on buying? Do i need aftermarket head studs? Will my current walbro 255 support my fueling needs or will I need to step up? I would like to keep my 5x100 wheels, hubs, brakes so, what is the most cost effective way of doing this with the r180 and 6 speed swap? Axles?

Now Drop the knowledge on me so I can get to pricing my build and sloooowly buying parts!
Nathan21 likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key; 10-12-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 10-11-2013, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
This should turn out to be a good thread man...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boo-key likes this.
post #3 of 62 Old 10-11-2013, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Just go with a similair set up as kirt and you'll be golden. There's a guy up here that has 6 speed swaps for 3500. All the parts you need. And I think he ships for future reference it's called pmp auto group. Great guy to get parts from

BLAZE2099 and Nathan21 like this.
post #4 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ I'll second buying from Peter (pmp owner)
Great guy, and only buys subies for his little salvage yard.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #5 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Used ej25 shortblock...$100

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!

Last edited by boo-key; 10-29-2013 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 06:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
First question. How much power are you planning on making?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #7 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
First question. How much power are you planning on making?
Hoping for at least 350.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #8 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Nice thread! Looking forward to reading this one. Wish I could help but I'm about the same as you Adair with internal engine modding lol!

Nathan21 likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
post #9 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 10:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
For my own learning I'll have to keep following this thread. Good luck with your build! You are going to have a beast of a car!

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
post #10 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Hoping for at least 350.
Just buy a built block from MPS. Can't go wrong

post #11 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Hoping for at least 350.
Wheel or Crank? I am going to assume wheel. Really all you'd need is a good turbo, 20gish, decent intercooler, tmic or fmic, and a good set of forged pistons. That's it really. Oh trans wise upgraded gears and a decent clutch...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #12 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

I might add that factory crank and rods are very strong in these cars. You could pull off 350whp with the stock pistons, just don't expect it to live very long.
turmic likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #13 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
Just buy a built block from MPS. Can't go wrong

Thats's not budget friendly for me. As I said this will be a parts hoarding adventure over a 5 year maximum time frame. It is much more economical for me that way than dropping a large chunk all at once.

Quote:
Wheel or Crank? I am going to assume wheel. Really all you'd need is a good turbo, 20gish, decent intercooler, tmic or fmic, and a good set of forged pistons. That's it really. Oh trans wise upgraded gears and a decent clutch...
Wheel hp. In my piston research I see some that say they are stock size forged pistons. Would something like this not require any machining? Are these any good? Wiseco Piston Set 99.5mm Bore Subaru Turbo 2.5L (inc. 2006-2014 WRX / 2004-2014 STI) K598M995AP at RallySportDirect.com

Quote:
I might add that factory crank and rods are very strong in these cars. You could pull off 350whp with the stock pistons, just don't expect it to live very long.
Thats's why I want to upgrade what I need to while it is all apart. I will want it to last.

I will probably start with the trans swap anyway while I'm absorbing all this knowledge. I will be buying piece by piece. Rear diff, driveshaft, trans, axles, all seperate as money permits. Dosent the 06-07 sti have a better gear ratio than previous models? Still need to know how I'm gonna cost effectively keep it 5x100. After all that is bought I'll sell the old trans and diff to help start funding the engine.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #14 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Second question; Do you have a spare motor to build or are you trying to buy parts and build the current motor? I recommend buy a used motor and tearing it down and going that route so you have less down time.
I'd highly recommend having a machine shop check the piston bores and if they are with in spec you'll need at least a hone.
I'm a huge fan of Wossner pistons, but that is just me. Lots of people go with CP or another brand. I chose Wossner because they seem to not have that cold "knock" that a lot of forged pistons do. Although a bit heavier than most I have always had good results with them.

Personally at that power level doing a STi swap isn't worth it, but running a stock trans isn't either. I run the 08 LGT gear set, which is suppose to be pretty stout, but then again I had a good bit of luck with my old set of gears and it was a bend shift fork that was my issue. So I just upgraded the gears while the trans was out.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #15 of 62 Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
All you need is a stout bottom end like Keith has said. My engine is overbuilt for what I make hp wise. If you get CP pistons get the side and top coated by SwainTech. The piston slap isn't bad at all if they're coated. I had a short block without coated CPs. It was way different on cold start up with piston slap. Very noisy until warmed up. It has to be freezing out to get even the slightest slap on my setup right now. Bottom end/shortblock is everything below the heads. I have a nitrided 2009 crank (Keith knows a little more than me on cranks), but the stock STI rods are fine for your power goals. Probably could get away with stock bearings. Again, I have ACL bearings and it's overkill. Keith likes a certain brand bearings...he'll comment about it. I'd suggest APR headstuds. Lock that biotch down. Replace all your gaskets with a master gasket set while your in there. Umm...the 07 6 spd has a slightly different ratio. I wouldn't call either them less short then previous years by much. I think the 08+ STI is slightly longer. Can't quite find the old link on transmission ratios while on my honeymoon. But, you could probably run John's Albin gear set on your oh goals. But, a 6 spd would mean you can stop sweating bullets if plan on beating it some. It's a big matter of opinions though. You could easily get 350 whp on E85 with a 20G. Shoot...you get that with 93 oct if you have it in Tennessee. I can help with links to more info when I'm at home.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae