Subaru WRX Forum banner

Blown 2004 wrx

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Chase 
#1 ·
hey guys, i have a 2004 wrx, the motor is locked up and im sure cant be rebuilt atleast cost effectively.

I have seen jdm ej20's on ebay like 95-99 motors and stuff, all for around $1000

are the block and heads the same that are on my car? can i just swap manifolds and everything else onto these ebay motors or will i have to get a newer style ej20?

sorry this may be a n00b question? im looking for my best route here i would really like to get my car back on the road.

#2 ·
You need a JDM ECU if you have a JDM motor... or a full stand alone like a hydra and similar. If they don't come with the ECU, that $1000 price is hiding a lot of the actual cost.

I don't know enough to be sure about the pre-2001 EJ20s but I think it should fit in there pretty well. You should talk to somebody who's done it before. In fact, you're probably not planning to do this on your own, right? Talk to your mechanic.

#3 ·
Older generation motors are very similar to the new age models, but might have different cam and crank shaft sensor connectors; I'm not familiar with them personally. If you are willing, you can get one of the older motors and then reuse your own sensors, all other accesories, and cam gears to make it work right.
Least time-consuming and risk free method is to get a a bare long block from 02-07 wrx; they can be found for under $1500, especially 02-05. Or get an sti short block if time is not of importance and swap it instead of your seized 2.0.

Just checked: it seems if you can find my99+ (Phase II) jdm wrx motor, the conncetions are the same. The compression is different however, so it will require a retune.

#4 ·
im a nissan tech at the local dealer here, and ive got a fully built s13 drift car i built from the ground up lol i can handle a motor RnR.

I was going to swap everything over to the differnt ej20 block.

but you say i can find the regular usdm ej20's 02-05 for $1500? where at? ive looked at car-part.com and they are all pretty pricey for what you get, do you know anyone or a shop personally that will have some for sale? i would much rather go that route than the jdm route to make it easier and be sure that everything works.

#5 ·
When I bought a car with a seized motor, I was able to find a replacement locally (Missouri) on nasioc midwest owners club. Often you can track some down on ebay. Also,
SILVERLINE AUTOMOTIVE
LEO AT 360-513-0663

and these guys: Millennium Auto -Specializing in Subaru WRX STI

Two of the above vendors are typically involved at selling complete units, with everything attached. You might be able to get lucky and persuade one of them to sell you just a long block. Or buy the whole thing and sell off what you do not need.

#7 ·
Keep an eye open around your area's classified listings. I just saw a good wrx block for $400 in my area. With everyone doing EJ25 swaps, the EJ20 isn't exactly a dime a dozen, but they are fairly easy to find inexpensively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.