Best Way to Build a 22B Engine - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By psinuse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Best Way to Build a 22B Engine

Nice car but great engine. If one wanted to build a 22B engine today, what would be the best path?

The 22B engine has a bore of 96.9 mm, where the 2.0L bore is 92 mm and the 2.5L bore is 99.5 mm

1. Overbore a EJ207 block,
2. big-Sleeve an EJ257 block, or
3. Find a rare (old) 2.2 L block or custom order new from a suppler who makes closed deck blocks?

Mate the finished EJ22 shortblock with EJ207 heads and all the peripherals.

What do you think is the best approach?

22B Review
Subaru Impreza 22B STi Archived Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

Subaru Impreza STI 22B specs
Impreza STI 22B specs
Attached Images

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
best path, is by far #3.

a built 22B isnt anything better than a built 207 or 257. the awesomeness & reliability comes from factory assembly. unless you are building a replica 22B, there is no point in todays age to build a EJ22T as there are alot of closed deck options for 2.0 and 2.5 litre motors (and are probably alot cheaper).

also alot of the 22B's magic came from the drivetrain. the 5 speed DCCD designed/engineered by prodrive is by far the best transmission subaru ever made if you ask me.

is this for your car? you should consider a 2.1L stroker kit for your EJ207 if youre looking for more power

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 06-07-2016 at 09:45 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
A 2.2L stroker motor based on an EJ205 is nothing like a 22B @titter , and is not the way to go. I like the high-reving nature of the 2.0L that you get with the short stroke crank.

The 2.2L displacement is a sweet spot although you're right, it would likely be easier to put a 2.0L crank in an EJ257 longblock to get a 2.34L displacement motor, like @psinuse did.

Still, this post is about exploring what's possible.

Are their shops/suppliers that sell new 2.2L case halves, because I'm sure the rest of a rebuilt EJ207 would support the small increment in displacement?

Laszlo - white '11 STi sedan
Buckle up. The all-new WRX STi is here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 09:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
based on an EJ205
i didnt mean build a 2.2 from a ej205, thats silly. i could only imagine how the cylinder walls would end up. i thought you had a 207? a 2.1L stroked 207 is a different ballgame all together. here is the 2.1L kit i am considering: http://www.steamspeed.com/index.php/...toker-kit.html

the point i was getting at was that the closed deck of the 22B isnt as coveted as it once was.

to build a 2.2 out of a 2.0 block you need to bore it as well. but you can reach a displacement of 2.1L from just using a 2.5L crank. there are alot of "drop in" kits available. its just new pistons, rods, crank & bearings. the reverse principle of a 2.0L crank in a 2.5L. which you can rev to 8000 no problem. just might need a bigger oil pump.

the big port jdm 207 heads should be fine for the 2.2 block, but im sure there is some chamber matching that needs to be done.

i guess its just my opinion. i wasnt impressed with any of the 2.2L motors i have seen. you can mimic the same power from other blocks for fractions of the cost. if this was 10 years ago, i would be agreeing with you. but with todays motors, theres better options. (i havent been in a 22B, just talking about the motor)

on a side note, WillAll Racing is about to release billet EJ25 blocks with rumored displacement as high as 2.8L with custom deck heights and bore width. if u really want to build an indestructable motor.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 06-07-2016 at 11:15 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention psinuse is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Just stick with a ej207. Honestly you'd be chasing your tail building a 2.2 and have way more money involved than the benefit you'd gain...
LW_Black4 likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 WRX 2.0L
08' LGT Gears
Spec C goodies