best rods and pistons for 02 wrx - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kapnhook is an unknown
taking the advice given i have been looking in to doing the hybrid build,is it better to buy a new subaru sti short block and replace the pistons? or buy a new subaru block,crank and aftermarket bearings rods and pistons?

i want the car to run well and make good power but i want it to be somewhat reliable and be able to put some miles on it,i dont want to build an engine every twenty thousand miles either.thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If your goal is only 300whp then the stock block is fine. It will probably be cheaper to find a case, crank, rods, pistons, and bearings and do it all yourself though.

The cheapest I've ever heard of a new sb is $1,500, but I think that guy had a hookup. I've always seen them go for $2k.

If you build it yourself:

Good case that doesn't need any work: $450
Crank: $250
Rods: $100
Pistons: New OEM probably $250, new forged $5-600
Bearings: $100-150
Gasket kit: $240

Depending on forged or oem pistons and bearing cost you could save at least a couple hundred bucks... I'm guessing high on the crank and case as well. You can probably find them for less than $700.

-Chris
post #18 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kapnhook is an unknown
what year sti block should i buy? i know this has been asked before but cant find definet answer only a lot of "should be" and "i think"s.

is there a split in 2006 by build date?or does i matter.thanks

there is alot of info on hybrids but its scatterd all over,would be nice if it had its own section.HINT-HINT.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-10-2011, 10:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If anything the 08+ STI block has the nitrided crank, but I don't see too much value in that for you.

Any STI shortblock will do just fine; even an 08+ WRX short block is good, but that will give you even higher compression with your heads.

-Chris
post #20 of 21 Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

kkrutell6 is an unknown
I'm embarking on a similar endeavor with my 02 wrx, but am not planing on going too crazy with the power yet, where would be the best place to order a set of cp pistons and manley connecting rods?
post #21 of 21 Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

iluvmysti is an unknown
Support the SPONSOR'S ! A few bucks here or there don't mean poop in the long run if you need advice from our sporting community and our vendors. You claim to have performance experience other than Subaru so you should be aware of the price of quality parts. It's very competitive for the vendor's also. On my second modded STI and am looking at the minimum of bent valves and some damaged guides to make my honey well again. Fresh motor (new block, Manley H rods, JE pistons, Manley valves' and GSC beehive springs) with less than 2 thousand miles on them when an exhaust cam gear retaining bolt sheared causing valve/piston contact. I am still crying because it was so new and the tune is great with that Blouch 5.0. But I shall return asap. It's only money when your hooked.
LW_Black4 likes this.