Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Cylinder Head & Short Block (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   best rods and pistons for 02 wrx (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f103/best-rods-pistons-02-wrx-30004/)

kapnhook 12-26-2010 09:58 PM

best rods and pistons for 02 wrx

well i am new to the subaru world but not new to performance,
i have serched and cant find the amswers i want. i have an 02 wrx wagon that i bought with a bad engine,runs but knocks very loud. i intend on building the engine myself.asuming the crank rods and pistons are all junk,i would like to install a new subaru crank,with forged rods and pistons.

here are my questions,is the stock crank forged?will it hold 300whp?
what rods should i use?was looking at the eagle h beam or the manley h beam.
what pistons?was looking at weisco or je.

my goal is 300whp but i have never driven this car so i would like to build a stong bottom end,since i need one anyway,and put it together,drive it and go from there.

any help would be great thanks in advance.

brfatal 12-27-2010 11:51 AM

Just for the record, if you build this car now and intend on keeping it you will be rebuilding it again. Built motors don't last anywhere near as long due to extra wear and tear. For your goals, it's probably a better investment to get a new shortblock.

kapnhook 12-27-2010 12:31 PM

i understand that when modify it you sacrifice longgevity,but what would make a new stock short block stonger/better that one with higher quality,beter built parts?

Subbie 12-27-2010 04:25 PM

[quote=kapnhook;254616]i understand that when modify it you sacrifice longgevity,but what would make a new stock short block stonger/better that one with higher quality,beter built parts?[/quote]

Using the stock short block assuming it has no issues would be just fine. No need to waste money on a new short block.

basco 12-27-2010 05:39 PM

^ Are you on crack 400AWHP would bend every single rod in a stock short block

kapnhook 12-27-2010 06:55 PM

my short block is not any good. it has a spun rod bearing. so i have to either replace or rebuild to begin with. i already have a new subaru crank shaft. i would like to have 300awhp

i was asking which rod and pistons would be better...

newtothegame 12-27-2010 10:51 PM

300 AWHP (to the ground) can be done with the stock block. Its all in the tune of the car. But since you have a bad block, I guess it wouldnt hurt to build a little more.

basco 12-28-2010 08:32 AM

[quote=kapnhook;254636]my short block is not any good. it has a spun rod bearing. so i have to either replace or rebuild to begin with. i already have a new subaru crank shaft. i would like to have 300awhp

i was asking which rod and pistons would be better...[/quote]

Sorry I forgot to answer your question in my reply, but if you've got a spun bearing your better off buying a new shortblock because the bearing material can do alot more damage than you might think, and if you want a decent amount of power potential you should buy an STi short block and a set of forged pistons for it and reuse your heads and create a "Hybrid Build." But, if your set on reusing the EJ205 your best using either Arias or CP pistons with Manley rods.

brfatal 12-28-2010 11:27 AM

[quote=kapnhook;254636]my short block is not any good. it has a spun rod bearing. so i have to either replace or rebuild to begin with. i already have a new subaru crank shaft. i would like to have 300awhp

i was asking which rod and pistons would be better...[/quote]

Then you need to be buying a new shortblock in the 1st place.

kapnhook 12-28-2010 07:33 PM

thanks for the advice and recomendation on parts,not really wanting to go hybrid.

brfatal,why do i need a new short block? why cant i rebuild it?

the other reason i dont want to go with a hybrid is the tuning part,i have not found a place that will tune it,and i have not reserched any on tunnig it myself.

man show 12-29-2010 08:48 AM

Before you completely rule out the hybrid build, you may want to do some thorough research on the topic. I, personally, don't know very much about it, but a number of people on here do and it definitely seems to be the better choice for the majority of 2.0 owners who are considering engine work.

brfatal 12-29-2010 10:49 AM

[quote=kapnhook;254686]thanks for the advice and recomendation on parts,not really wanting to go hybrid.

brfatal,why do i need a new short block? why cant i rebuild it?

the other reason i dont want to go with a hybrid is the tuning part,i have not found a place that will tune it,and i have not reserched any on tunnig it myself.[/quote]

The reason is stated in basco's post. Also, if it is a spun bearing, you likely also have head damage as well.

basco 12-29-2010 08:53 PM

both times I've spun a bearing I've had damage in the head on the cam bearing surfaces

kapnhook 12-30-2010 07:08 PM

first thanks for the advice.
second,having the block cleaned and preped at a machine shop wont get all of the bearing material out of the oil passages? i have had allot of engine work done,on other than a subaru,and never had trouble.
i know things like the oil cooler need replaced and the turbo oil passages need cleaned,is there something else?

as for the heads,the cams ride right in the head with no bearing correct?is there any way to repair the head if there is damage?

thanks again for the help,just trying to learn.

basco 12-30-2010 10:21 PM

nope if the cam bearing surfaces are damaged the heads are junk