2002 Bugeye Build - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
2002 Bugeye Build

Goodday all!

I started putting together the parts for this build back in may of last year after months of research on all the forums.. just to make sure I get everything I need, but I'm at a point now where a second pair if eyes would be useful on helping me out with anything I forgot while I start putting everything together.

2002 Subaru WRX (WRB)
Mod list..

Block:

2005 STi Short Block
Mahle PowerPak 4032 Pistons 100mm
Eagle rods (H beams)
ACL Bearings
OEM head studs
Nitraded Crank
Meagan Racing polyurethane Engine Mounts

Heads:

2.0 liter heads
-Radius valve job, cleaning & resurfacing
-pocket/bowl port
-2.5l chamber matched
-bench valve adjust
-BC 280s
-titanium valves and springs.

Forced Induction parts:

Precision 5858 turbo (rotated)
Grimmspeed manual boost controller
TurboXS FMIC w/ Matte White powder coated piping
Custom fabricated up pipe/down pipe
Custom short ram
Tial 44mm EWG

Other Engine parts:

Stock Intake manifold powder coated Matte white
Batlground 1.5 scroll EL header
Invidia g200 exhaust
TGV deletes
11mm oil pump
Samco hoses (Blue) to replace ALL factory ones
CarbonCreations alternator cover
Grimmspeed radiator shroud w/ built in tool tray (Black)

Fuel System:

ID2000 injectors
DW320 fuel pump in tank
Aeromotive top feed fuel rail system w/ nylon race hoses
Aeromotive 40 micron stainless steel inline fuel filter

Transmission:

Custom clutch
refinished stock flywheel
PPG Straight cut 1st-4th syncro stock 5th
Torque Solutions short shifter
Front and rear shifter bushings
Meagan Racing polyurethane Tranny Mount

Engine Management:

Cobb AccessPort
AEM uego
AEM oil pressure
AEM boost gauge
ATI clock gauge pod

Suspension:

BC BR Coilovers w/ rear extenders
Whiteline adjustable Front 24mm sway bar
Whiteline adjustable Rear 22mm swat bar
Whiteline Front Pillowball endlinks
Whiteline rear solid endlinks

Misc:

Ver7 blue faced speedo cluster w/ shift light
KStech semi-black hood scoop delete

(I'm sure I'm missing things... long list)

I'm looking for 450awhp-ish on 93.

Looking for 500awhp-ish on E85.

Will be using the car as a weekend driver and trying to make it to Auto-X events.

Is there anything vital to the build that I'm missing?

These builds sure do eat up your wallet don't they?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! And feel free to ask questions/criticize my build! You don't post on an open internet forum and not expect everyone's opinion.. so bring them on!! Lol

Thanks for reading.

Some pictures of the current status:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
check out the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (ALK), and polyurethane bushings all around (in addition to those you had listed)...both are a must have IMHO.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
check out the Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (ALK), and polyurethane bushings all around (in addition to those you had listed)...both are a must have IMHO.
Thank you!! I don't know all to much about suspension upgrades, but I did what I thought were the basics of it. For the bushings all around, I found this kit:
Energy Suspension Bushing Kit - Bushings and Endlinks
I can't seem to find a kit for all the bushings on the car, but I'm sure my builder will know that info.
Also, I'll be ordering that ALK soon. That's a good one!

Thanks again.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
A couple of recommendations.

-I recommend different cams. BC has had some quality issues and they are more bark than bit, meaning they give you the bad idle you're after but not the power thats supposed to go with it.

-Mahle Power Pack pistons will not hold the power you want. They are very brittle and barely stronger than the stock pistons. Most people would advise not going over 400 whp with them because they tend to outright crack.

-I suggest better coilovers if you're after handling. BCs are the definition of budget coilovers and neither perform nor ride well. You would be better off spending less on springs or more on a quality coilover.

-The TXS FMIC is going to hold you back. The core is getting to be too small for what you're likely going to be doing with it. You've already taken care of the 1st restriction, the piping.

Last edited by brfatal; 03-19-2013 at 03:01 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
A couple of recommendations.

-I recommend different cams. BC has had some quality issues and they are more bark than bit, meaning they give you the bad idle you're after but not the power thats supposed to go with it.

-Mahle Power Pack pistons will not hold the power you want. They are very brittle and barely stronger than the stock pistons. Most people would advise not going over 400 whp with them because they dent to outright crack.

-I suggest better coilovers if you're after handling. BCs are the definition of budget coilovers and neither perform nor ride well. You would be better off spending less on springs or more on a quality coilover.

-The TXS FMIC is going to hold you back. The core is getting to be too small for what you're likely going to be doing with it. You've already taken care of the 1st restriction, the piping.
Well, The engine was just buttoned all up, so I'm stuck with the engine specs I have listed. I'm only shooting for 400awhp on pump 93 with the set up, I think it will make it no problem and hopefully hold that power well with a good tune. Kieth at AWDTuning told me he expects me to hit 400whp on thier heartbreaker dyno, So I should be satisfied with that for now

As for the coilovers, I got them off the forums for a good price ($800) with 3k miles on them because my coilovers I had on the car were 8 years old and torn to crap and rusted. If the ride is as crappy as you say, I'll end up getting some KW v1s or something in that caliber, but I want to see how they ride first.

the TXS intercooler will hold me back you say? will it be "maxed out" so to speak at 450 on e85?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 02:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
was expecting to see a reversed intake manifold...

Also, many people on here complain about blown pistons in any of these types of setups. It's inevitable. The throw is too short and the piston head is too wide. There's just too much area around the edge of the piston head in the EJ25 engines. It's the main reason I wouldn't replace my engine with a "built" motor even if I blew it. It's just not a reliable piston design at those power levels. To do it right, you have to increase stroke, preferably on a smaller displacement engine like the 205 or preferably the 2.2L block out of an old turbo legacy. But hey, everybody has to mind a budget, right? Be prepared to deal with serious oil blowby getting around your piston though with forged pistons inside the EJ257 block.

Those coilovers are pointless but I guess you had nothing else and they were cheap so not a big loss there.

EDIT: I'd also go with a 3-port BCS and a modified stock ECU rather than the MBC. I don't understand what the Cobb AP is buying you with an MBC on that car. No map they have can deal with that, you'll be doing something completely custom anyway might as well flash directly.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
was expecting to see a reversed intake manifold...

Also, many people on here complain about blown pistons in any of these types of setups. It's inevitable. The throw is too short and the piston head is too wide. There's just too much area around the edge of the piston head in the EJ25 engines. It's the main reason I wouldn't replace my engine with a "built" motor even if I blew it. It's just not a reliable piston design at those power levels. To do it right, you have to increase stroke, preferably on a smaller displacement engine like the 205 or preferably the 2.2L block out of an old turbo legacy. But hey, everybody has to mind a budget, right? Be prepared to deal with serious oil blowby getting around your piston though with forged pistons inside the EJ257 block.

Those coilovers are pointless but I guess you had nothing else and they were cheap so not a big loss there.

EDIT: I'd also go with a 3-port BCS and a modified stock ECU rather than the MBC. I don't understand what the Cobb AP is buying you with an MBC on that car. No map they have can deal with that, you'll be doing something completely custom anyway might as well flash directly.
I researched the Reversed mani quite heavily actually, but I like how the pipping looks in the engine bay in the stock routing. I know i know, it adds like 3 foot of piping, but I also Like to have ac in my cars (texas gets insanely hot), and I would have to move my alternator to the current compressor location. I weighed the pros and cons and marked it down as an acceptable loss in spool... which is not really all that much.

I went with the MBC as per my tuners recommendation, I always go with what he says on specifics like that, like we all should, since he will be tuning the car.

The Cobb AP is there mainly (and probably exclusively) to just hold the different maps on the car (i.e e85 map, 93 pump map, etc). The car is going to be custom tuned by my tuner (Justin @ Batlground Motorsports) on their Dynojet.

Thank you greatly for the advice in this matter everyone. I am taking everything you all say to heart and making the necessary changing based on your experiences.

I won't be run super High boost levels, maybe 23 or 24 max. I know the rods won't be happy with me if I go with any more than that over the long term.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohr700 View Post
Well, The engine was just buttoned all up, so I'm stuck with the engine specs I have listed. I'm only shooting for 400awhp on pump 93 with the set up, I think it will make it no problem and hopefully hold that power well with a good tune. Kieth at AWDTuning told me he expects me to hit 400whp on thier heartbreaker dyno, So I should be satisfied with that for now

As for the coilovers, I got them off the forums for a good price ($800) with 3k miles on them because my coilovers I had on the car were 8 years old and torn to crap and rusted. If the ride is as crappy as you say, I'll end up getting some KW v1s or something in that caliber, but I want to see how they ride first.

the TXS intercooler will hold me back you say? will it be "maxed out" so to speak at 450 on e85?

Ah, Keith/Mary would have tried to sell you out of getting those rods and into Pauter x-beams. I doubt the Eagles will be a problem though. It's what I have on my car. The problem with the Mahle pistons is that they are so rigid that they offer no flex at all, which means the piston will crack. Tons of people making 400 whp and up have had them fail, which is why I mentioned that they aren't much stronger than stock.

As for the coilovers, they are over sprung for what the dampers are and this negatively affects reliability, ride, and performance. You mentioned you wanted to auto cross them, and I have heard of a bunch of cases of rapid failures when pushed into motorsport usage.

What you will be doing on E85 is the upper limit if what you should be trying to do with that core. It was only designed with sub 50 lb/min setups in mind.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lohr700 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Ah, Keith/Mary would have tried to sell you out of getting those rods and into Pauter x-beams. I doubt the Eagles will be a problem though. It's what I have on my car. The problem with the Mahle pistons is that they are so rigid that they offer no flex at all, which means the piston will crack. Tons of people making 400 whp and up have had them fail, which is why I mentioned that they aren't much stronger than stock.

As for the coilovers, they are over sprung for what the dampers are and this negatively affects reliability, ride, and performance. You mentioned you wanted to auto cross them, and I have heard of a bunch of cases of rapid failures when pushed into motorsport usage.

What you will be doing on E85 is the upper limit if what you should be trying to do with that core. It was only designed with sub 50 lb/min setups in mind.
Thanks for the info. I trust my builder/tuner pretty well, and I know he will too most if not all of the knock out of the engine and make sure it's reliable for the build. So hopefully it lasts. But if I do come into some more money after a while I'll probably go with some I beams or X beams and some CP Forged Pistons. But along with that I would want to get a higher flowing turbo and bigger FMIC..... oh I think I got the bug!! !Notfunny!

But the first to upgrades I am noticing I need to make based on my current set up is to ditch these coilovers and upgrade my rear Diff. oh, and when I'm in there, add some ARP head studs, just for the added peace of mind if not for anything else.

Also, I saw your bugeye build. That's a fairly impressive list there, that looks like it is set up to hit waaaay more than the ~350awhp that you have it running now. Any plans to go higher?

How does your car feel on the road? The only other high HP car I've driven was a 2010 Camaro SS. That one makes 400 or so hp but I know t's a worlds different (heavier and rwd). Just curious to how our cars do with the power levels I'll be at.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohr700 View Post
Also, I saw your bugeye build. That's a fairly impressive list there, that looks like it is set up to hit waaaay more than the ~350awhp that you have it running now. Any plans to go higher?
I made 395 on one of the lowest reading dynos in the area. Most of what I have done to my car was ironically not for my desire of a faster car, but to replace broken parts. LOL. I'm done modding it for the most part. I've had this car for so long and fixed it too many times to have your same enthusiasm. If I had a few thousand laying around collecting dust I'd get a 6-speed, higher compression pistons, thicker sway bars, and put on a more aggressive suspension than the $1,400 suspension I installed less than 1,000 miles ago right before I had to dump $12k on another repair for the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement