2.5 swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

northpolerex is an unknown
2.5 swap

So I have the chance to get the block out of a 1998 legacey outback. I currently have a 2002 wrx. Pretty much just stage 2. I was wondering if the block out of the outback would work with my heads? And if so what all is needed to make this work, and is it even worth it? I posted this same question on Nasioc...and nothing. Hoping someone on here could give me some advice. Thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2009, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I dont know if you'd want to use a open deck natural aspirated engine to mod into a hybrid forced induction engine. It just doesn't seem smart to me. Probably too many headaches and that engine really isn't even made to be forced induction. Probably suffer from relabilty issues after the build.
#3 Old 09-17-2009, 02:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
It would not be worth doing.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
#4 Old 09-17-2009, 03:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

alright well I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks for the replies guys. I am new to this whole suby engine scene....seems like there are a million different engines out there for 1 type of car....Anyways once again thanks. I guess I'll just send it back and get the core money for it:-)
#5 Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Supposedly any EJ engine will bolt up to your WRX heads. I learned that today with my discussion with my tuner...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#6 Old 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Marne_Aeok is an unknown
i was wondering same. my 02 wrx has 160k. i want to get this car alot better but i thik its just got way to many miles. should i bother with this engine or start looking for a new car?
#7 Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Supposedly any EJ engine will bolt up to your WRX heads. I learned that today with my discussion with my tuner...
This maybe true...but, choose your engine wisely.
#8 Old 09-18-2009, 06:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

is if that motor is an ''open deck'' and the wrx is a ''semi open deck'' which blocks are completly closed?? And how much stronger are they compared to the semi open blocks?
#9 Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

The newer EJs that subaru builds that are natural aspirated engines are open deck. The Wrx and STIs are semi-closed. The older blocks like EJ22s on 22Bs were fully closed. You can buy a fully closed deck EJ. But, unless your really pushing it. You probably won't need it to be fully closed.
#10 Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

airflot10 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
The newer EJs that subaru builds that are natural aspirated engines are open deck. The Wrx and STIs are semi-closed. The older blocks like EJ22s on 22Bs were fully closed. You can buy a fully closed deck EJ. But, unless your really pushing it. You probably won't need it to be fully closed.
Thanks for the info

Car Sponsorship
#11 Old 02-02-2010, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Your welcome. What I meant by the way, is that their are places that will make a fully closed EJ255 or EJ257 engine. The 22B is using a fully closed 2.2 engine. This place says they make closed decks, but i've never heard anyone ever using their engines. Ultimate Subaru WRX Performance, STi Performance Upgrades Parts Modifications! So, I can't say how reputable they are...

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae