2.34L build - Page 9 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#121 Old 09-30-2011, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well got my case bolt yesterday as well as my new water pump and timing kit. Took me over an hour to get all the Fujibond off of the case halves yesterday. So I went ahead and started putting the shortblock together other than the pistons. More than likely I will put them in tomorrow when I get home from work. Still have to line up the rings and make sure I have things in order. Anyway quick snap of the shortblock so far:
Attached Images

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Man I almost forgot to update this again:
Got the pistons in and now just trying to figure out what to do about the heads. Yes I know that the pistons access holes are still open. I ran out of Fujibond so I have to buy more to do that...
Attached Images

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#123 Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Show pictures of the pistons in the cylinders.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#124 Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Show pictures of the pistons in the cylinders.
Can't you see the one in that picture???? LOL Once I get home I will snap some more pictures to show you how far down the piston sits in the bore.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#125 Old 10-15-2011, 09:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Danke

Kirt
#126 Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Update:
Well haven't made any real progress on this build as of late. I need a set of heads and I have been eyeballing some Supertech, but they use BC cams and I don't feel like buying new cams and buckets. Not sure if I could buy them bare or not. Anyway the guy that wanted to buy this motor back out because he thought it would be to much for him after taking a ride in my car, personally I think he was just a wuss or his wife didn't want him to buy it. Sorry for not updating sooner, but mucho overtime at work the last 2 weeks has kept me from really doing much other than a few things I always make time for...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#127 Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Eyeing some supertech what? Valves I assume...I'm using supertech valves on GSC S1 cams. So, you don't have to be stuck on BC's crap. My builder had to set the valve lash of course and I got everything new buckets and all that crap.

Kirt
#128 Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Supertech heads(they are a different company I believe). I hate the thought of using BC cams, but to spend another $900+ for cams and buckets to me is to much. I have been looking for a set of regular WRX heads, but people are wanting $500 for them and then you have to pay for machine work, springs, cams, buckets, etc so by then you have $2200 in a set where as the Supertech heads are $2100.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#129 Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Just buy basco's EJ205 heads. They're already upgraded and I'm sure he'll give you a good deal on them.

Kirt
#130 Old 10-25-2011, 07:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I would just see if supertech will upgrade to GSC or Kelford for an extra 250. If I buy BC's I'm spending about $575, GSC's that I've decided on are $850 (my price is $800ish). It's not THAT much more in the grand scheme of things, and the GSC Stage II's have been shown to make a lot more power upstairs (where this engine will live), and also makes more power down low.... They're the perfect cam!

Plus BC stage II's have barely more duration than a stock STI cam... More lift for sure but I don't even think they're 264*.

-Chris
#131 Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

I know that I wanna switch out the cams currently in my car for something better, but it's the whole, "time to do it thing" anymore. I will do some shopping though. A guy here locally just toasted his 04WRX and is going to buy a complete EJ207 motor, so I might offer my services in exchange for the old heads if they aren't to messed up.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#132 Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
if it's a bearing issue stay away, the heads are almost always trash in our cars when you spin bearings

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#133 Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not really sure what it was, he just said it was toasted???? Maybe it just needs some butter on it...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#134 Old 10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

My heads survived....but, i don't know if the EJ257s are any different. Oh and I actually just stopped driving it at that point. Unlike the drain plug issue before it...that lead to the bearing failure. I heard the noise of possible rod knock.....pulled over and had two dealership "techs" look at it up near the rally. They said its rod knock and if it just started....which it did. They said have it towed or look at doing a long block. Which I did a long block anyways, but I got to reuse my heads.

Kirt
#135 Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
I've had 2 EJ2XX's spin bearings and twice I've had to buy new heads because the cam surfaces got scored to hell, speaking of which Keith I've got a fully built set of EJ205 heads laying around but they've got a real wild set of Tomei cams, I think 287/280 int/exh IIRC, IDK if you'd be interested

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt