2.34L build - Page 8 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#106 Old 09-07-2011, 09:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Buy used, have it calibrated and you're good. Also avoid the crappy plastic ones that are out now a days, those things suck at everything. I wouldn't even use one of those on a lawnmower engine. If you can do what I did and find an old machine shop going out of business and buy from them they usually let stuff go pretty cheap and most of the time you don't need the stuff calibrated...

new2subaru if your really worried about the motor failing you should have the oil tested by Blackstone, not to be confused with Keystone haha. Look for traces of metal flakes in your oil and yes check the tensioner they are know to go bad and if it locks up you will experience your first "Oh Crap!" moment.

On a side note why does the word tensioner show up as a misspelling????
PSINUSE: I had my oil changed yesterday with mobil 1 synthetic 5w30. they said they found no "shiney flakes" in my oil. Tell me about this "blackstone" what or who are they? I'm only concerned, cause I have 126K on motor. I only want a stage 2 tune with full exhaust, nothing "wild" and I want to know if that will eventually "assplode" my motor. I dont drive it hard, only on occasion... Thanks for all you guys input, I greatly appreciate it..pzr in SA... got any input? your close to me and I'd like to bounce my ideas off of you as well, maybe meet up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#107 Old 09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
See here:

Blackstone Labs

Then go here and read:

- Bob is the Oil Guy

2nd best forum on the webz...

I can meet up any weekend.... Mostly.

Let me know when

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#108 Old 09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
See here:

Blackstone Labs

Then go here and read:

- Bob is the Oil Guy

2nd best forum on the webz...

I can meet up any weekend.... Mostly.

Let me know when
Thanks!! I will check these out, and hit you up some day to come down to SA for a cruise night or something.
#109 Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
No one can tell you for certain if and when your motor will explode...Trust me you just never know, but keeping an eye on certain things will help prolong the life of the engine....I have seen motors with 160k on them go with a 16g turbo and still live to 190k without issues...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#110 Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
No one can tell you for certain if and when your motor will explode...Trust me you just never know, but keeping an eye on certain things will help prolong the life of the engine....I have seen motors with 160k on them go with a 16g turbo and still live to 190k without issues...
Lol, I wouldn't figure anyone could tell wether or not your motors going to explode. I am just inquiring from you guys to get all the knowledge and advise about the sub wrx I can. I appreciate all your input and advice. This is the best wrx forum on the net, you guys are very knowledgeable. Thanks.
#111 Old 09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Again I'd say you'll be fine for a stg.2 and good driving should keep you happy for a while..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#112 Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well made a bit more progress today since it's still raining out....Got the rods and crank placed in one case half. I will leave it for now and place the other case half on tomorrow as I am tired and need some sleep...This project is moving along very nicely and I can't wait to see how well this turns out.
Attached Images

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#113 Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
OHHH, SHINY I likey, lol.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#114 Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah it will be that way for now. Please note that you don't see excessive assembly lube all over the place, I keep things clean to assemble my motors...I also just realized I don't have a rear main seal in my gasket kit...Damn it!!!!

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#115 Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Oh I know how it goes putting engines together. Not car engines, but helicopter ones, used to help my other guys when they needed a hand. It was fun, but like you said, a good idea to keep everything as clean as possible.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#116 Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
"Cleanliness is next to godliness." Looks very nice!!! cant wait to hear how it runs..
#117 Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
"Cleanliness is next to godliness." Looks very nice!!! cant wait to hear how it runs..
Well somewhere on Youtube I had a friend post a video of my car going to 9k on the dyno just to prove that it would do it...I will try and scout around for it. It is just a rev happy motor honestly. Lots of fun also, but I need a bigger turbo for it and that's why I am looking into a gt40 rotated of course.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#118 Old 09-09-2011, 07:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well got the pistons balanced and ready to drop in. 3 of them were dead on perfect at 371.83 grams, yes I measure out to .00 grams. 1 of them was 1.6 grams to heavy. Took some work, but managed to get it down to .02 grams out. The wrist pins were all the same at 151.24 grams so I couldn't switch them around to try and balance out the 1 piston... Well out of the 4 times I have used Wossner pistons this is the only time the sets weren't completely balanced out down to .1 gram. Meh things happen I suppose so I am happy. Sorry didn't take any pictures of it, but it's nothing really interesting. Just pistons sitting on a scale...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#119 Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

So in a turn of bad luck, I somehow lost a case bolt and had to order a new set of them. This really sucks because I had already laid down all of my o rings and my block sealant, which sets up pretty quickly. I placed all the bolts in and just snugged them down hand tight on one side, flipped the block over and and started to do the same on the other side when I noticed the one bolt missing...Didn't torque any of them down after I noticed the one bolt missing. Oh well I won't have time til Saturday to work on it again so I will just pull the top case half off, clean them up and reapply the block sealant once I get the new case bolts in and redo everything over.... So once that is done I should be able to put the pistons in and button everything up.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#120 Old 09-20-2011, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Bummer on the case bolt... Wonder if you could have just snugged everything down to the first torque setting to let the sealant set... Not worth the risk and I wouldn't have either.

-Chris