2.34L build - Page 7 - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 171 Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Update: Nothing to update progress has been slowed to a crawl due to work and life issues...Really starting to get piss about both jobs and not having time to do the things I want to right now. I do apologize for my lack of pictures as well..

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 171 Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well since it's been raining all day finally got a chance to measure the crank and connecting rods. Have to find my torque wrench...It has grown a pair of legs since I used it the other day, that or one of my dogs carried it off and buried it... Anyway here is a quick pic of the crank and rods sitting ready to be put together. I am aware of the date on the camera being wrong, but I haven't read the instruction on how to change the date....
Attached Images

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #93 of 171 Old 09-05-2011, 01:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I want to tear an engine apart and build it some day... I've never done it, but I'd like to think I pay close enough attention to details that I could probably figure it out with a manual and some advice from the forums. Looks like a fun project.

John
07 WRX
post #94 of 171 Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Just take your time and make sure everything is clean. Then clean it again...haha Some people think it's like a black art, but in reality it's not that hard. I usually measure everything 3 times then write down the average of each measurement. It helps when you have to go back and replace something, also keep photos handy of stuff so you know where it goes...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #95 of 171 Old 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I'm having issues measuring my bearing clearances... I don't have a bore gauge so I'm using plastigauges...

Mains are coming out on the high side of spec, about .038mm but the crank mic's out for std. size bearings (triple checked this myself and verified by the machine shop), which I'm using.

It could be the fact that the only plastigauges I can find are from .001 to .003" (.001" being like .028mm), so they aren't exactly what I need in terms of size. I even mic'd out the bearing thicknesses and they came back at what the service manual says they should for std. size bearings, so I'm thinking my plastigage skills suck.

-Chris
post #96 of 171 Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
I'm having issues measuring my bearing clearances... I don't have a bore gauge so I'm using plastigauges...

Mains are coming out on the high side of spec, about .038mm but the crank mic's out for std. size bearings (triple checked this myself and verified by the machine shop), which I'm using.

It could be the fact that the only plastigauges I can find are from .001 to .003" (.001" being like .028mm), so they aren't exactly what I need in terms of size. I even mic'd out the bearing thicknesses and they came back at what the service manual says they should for std. size bearings, so I'm thinking my plastigage skills suck.
Oh please use the right tools. I hate it when people tell me, oh I just plasti gauges everything and it was okay.. Maybe for a standard rebuild, but for a high performance motor

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #97 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Already started shopping for a bore gauge

-Chris
post #98 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Already started shopping for a bore gauge
Might I suggest borrowing one or renting one. Unless you build a number of motors or have a use for the tools, you are looking at a pretty penny for everything needed.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #99 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

True... Minimum price is about $115 for one at Sears.

Also thinking in the long term I will be building more so it may be worth the investment.

-Chris
post #100 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
One quick question: What are the signs of a rod bearing going out??
post #101 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Loud ass knocking that gets louder and faster as rpm's go up.

Also lots of little gold flakes in your oil.

-Chris
post #102 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Loud ass knocking that gets louder and faster as rpm's go up.

Also lots of little gold flakes in your oil.
Ok, sweet... well then I'm 85% SURE MY CRAZY NOISE IS not A ROD BEARING yay!!!
mY 02 WRX makes a knocking/rattling sound at 3ooo rpm's and nothing under 3ooo rpms and goes away around 3600 rpms....must be T.O. bearing or something else...
post #103 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Could also be the timing belt tensioner... Those are known to go bad and make a knocking sound that isn't always consistent with rev's.

Back on topic.... I think I'm just going to either buy a bore gauge, or have the wife's parents get me one for xmas... I have a long time before the block is going in barring any catastrophic failures (I'll have everything for the long block by March or so).

-Chris
post #104 of 171 Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Could also be the timing belt tensioner... Those are known to go bad and make a knocking sound that isn't always consistent with rev's.

Back on topic.... I think I'm just going to either buy a bore gauge, or have the wife's parents get me one for xmas... I have a long time before the block is going in barring any catastrophic failures (I'll have everything for the long block by March or so).
Buy used, have it calibrated and you're good. Also avoid the crappy plastic ones that are out now a days, those things suck at everything. I wouldn't even use one of those on a lawnmower engine. If you can do what I did and find an old machine shop going out of business and buy from them they usually let stuff go pretty cheap and most of the time you don't need the stuff calibrated...

new2subaru if your really worried about the motor failing you should have the oil tested by Blackstone, not to be confused with Keystone haha. Look for traces of metal flakes in your oil and yes check the tensioner they are know to go bad and if it locks up you will experience your first "Oh Crap!" moment.

On a side note why does the word tensioner show up as a misspelling????

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #105 of 171 Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is that your last name Keith ? Stone ?

Funny stuff.

Back to OT.... Look on craigslist... I saw 2 local to me alone.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement