Subaru WRX Forum banner

2.34L build

41K views 170 replies 11 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have some parts lying around the garage and the wife wants me to "clean it up." So I am considering doing another 2.34L build, just the shortblock for now, and will use this thread as a means of showing the build progress.
I happen to have a used, but in great condition 2.0L crank, 05STi block and a set of STi rods. Other than a bore and hone the block is in great shape and the rods were reconditioned units I got in a trade. So I will need some pistons, rings, bearings and other odds and ends.

Now with that being said the build will be slowed due to me having to work 2 jobs and an up coming surgery that will have me unable to do things for a couple of weeks. I will push forward and make it happen. I will sell this one to someone, who knows maybe one of the guys on here will that keep blowing motor will want it...:D I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight from work.

#121 ·
Well got my case bolt yesterday as well as my new water pump and timing kit. Took me over an hour to get all the Fujibond off of the case halves yesterday. So I went ahead and started putting the shortblock together other than the pistons. More than likely I will put them in tomorrow when I get home from work. Still have to line up the rings and make sure I have things in order. Anyway quick snap of the shortblock so far:

Attachments

Reactions: mosc
#122 ·
Man I almost forgot to update this again:
Got the pistons in and now just trying to figure out what to do about the heads. Yes I know that the pistons access holes are still open. I ran out of Fujibond so I have to buy more to do that...:mad:

Attachments

#126 ·
Update:
Well haven't made any real progress on this build as of late. I need a set of heads and I have been eyeballing some Supertech, but they use BC cams and I don't feel like buying new cams and buckets. Not sure if I could buy them bare or not. Anyway the guy that wanted to buy this motor back out because he thought it would be to much for him after taking a ride in my car, personally I think he was just a wuss or his wife didn't want him to buy it. Sorry for not updating sooner, but mucho overtime at work the last 2 weeks has kept me from really doing much other than a few things I always make time for...

#127 ·
Eyeing some supertech what? Valves I assume...I'm using supertech valves on GSC S1 cams. So, you don't have to be stuck on BC's crap. My builder had to set the valve lash of course and I got everything new buckets and all that crap.

#128 ·
Supertech heads(they are a different company I believe). I hate the thought of using BC cams, but to spend another $900+ for cams and buckets to me is to much. I have been looking for a set of regular WRX heads, but people are wanting $500 for them and then you have to pay for machine work, springs, cams, buckets, etc so by then you have $2200 in a set where as the Supertech heads are $2100.

#130 ·
I would just see if supertech will upgrade to GSC or Kelford for an extra 250. If I buy BC's I'm spending about $575, GSC's that I've decided on are $850 (my price is $800ish). It's not THAT much more in the grand scheme of things, and the GSC Stage II's have been shown to make a lot more power upstairs (where this engine will live), and also makes more power down low.... They're the perfect cam!

Plus BC stage II's have barely more duration than a stock STI cam... More lift for sure but I don't even think they're 264*.

#131 ·
I know that I wanna switch out the cams currently in my car for something better, but it's the whole, "time to do it thing" anymore. I will do some shopping though. A guy here locally just toasted his 04WRX and is going to buy a complete EJ207 motor, so I might offer my services in exchange for the old heads if they aren't to messed up.

#134 ·
My heads survived....but, i don't know if the EJ257s are any different. Oh and I actually just stopped driving it at that point. Unlike the drain plug issue before it...that lead to the bearing failure. I heard the noise of possible rod knock.....pulled over and had two dealership "techs" look at it up near the rally. They said its rod knock and if it just started....which it did. They said have it towed or look at doing a long block. Which I did a long block anyways, but I got to reuse my heads.

#135 ·
I've had 2 EJ2XX's spin bearings and twice I've had to buy new heads because the cam surfaces got scored to hell, speaking of which Keith I've got a fully built set of EJ205 heads laying around but they've got a real wild set of Tomei cams, I think 287/280 int/exh IIRC, IDK if you'd be interested

#137 ·
WOW I guess I forgot to really update this thread. Well this shortblock got finished and is currently sitting in my basement, don't ask. I have plans to swap out the motor in a WRX wagon if I can get one cheap enough, but I still need a set of heads to finish this motor out, but damn the prices are crazy for 2.0L heads anymore. Cheapest I've found was $375+$150shipping for heads with 6 bend valves. I'm hoping to find a wagon with a blown motor with heads I can use, but I'm not holding my breath. I still have to get my trans apart and rebuild in my current WRX, plus recovery from my surgery so things have been a bit on the slow side. Meh maybe this spring I will come across what I need, that or a winning lottery ticket...lol

#140 ·
Yeah I used a 2.5L block, but I prefer to use 2.0L heads and have them ported out as they have a bit more meat in them. I am really hoping to get a wagon to do the swap to and hopefully use the heads on it. Man even WRX wagons with blown motors are still $4000+ what the hell is wrong with people, we are in a recession....

#141 ·
You're feeling the pain my one friend is...he's looking for a used car and everyone is running high on prices. I guess people don't want to get rid of stuff in a recession, so they jack the price up? Who knows. This is on private sellers btw....not dealerships.

#142 ·
Well keep in mind I'm not looking in a large area either. The closet one to me is 87miles away which isn't to bad, but they want $5600 for a wagon with a blown motor...WTF!?!?!?

#144 ·
Yeah the wife pretty much said that it was a bit to much. I have heard a rumor that a guy down the road from me has one with a blown trans that wants to sell and it's all stock. Might just see if I can talk to him about low prices...lol

#147 ·
Yeah they are like $640 then shipping at that price aftermarket heads would be cheaper. I found a couple of sets, but they all have broken pieces or bend valves and they still want upwards of $400 plus shipping. It's called a recession people. I have money to spend, but you want retarded amounts for stuff I don't have to buy...People need to wake up and think a bit.:mad:

#149 ·
Well that's based on price. The ones that are in my price range have no motor to start with and the plan is to have the motor ready to drop in with limited down time. We shall see how things progress I'm still recovering from surgery so I'm not really able to do much for a couple more weeks...Boooooooooooooo...:notgood:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.