Subaru WRX Forum banner

2.34L build

41K views 170 replies 11 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have some parts lying around the garage and the wife wants me to "clean it up." So I am considering doing another 2.34L build, just the shortblock for now, and will use this thread as a means of showing the build progress.
I happen to have a used, but in great condition 2.0L crank, 05STi block and a set of STi rods. Other than a bore and hone the block is in great shape and the rods were reconditioned units I got in a trade. So I will need some pistons, rings, bearings and other odds and ends.

Now with that being said the build will be slowed due to me having to work 2 jobs and an up coming surgery that will have me unable to do things for a couple of weeks. I will push forward and make it happen. I will sell this one to someone, who knows maybe one of the guys on here will that keep blowing motor will want it...:D I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight from work.

#63 ·
I will get pictures up soon, I am headed to the machine shop tomorrow after work and I will snap some photos of the block and pistons. My poor Subaru is just sitting there up on stands looking sad.
Also has anyone had a issue with the rear e-brake pads rubbing? I have the H6 brake upgrade and recently started having rubbing issues with the e-brake pads.

#64 ·
Well needless to say I am not going to make AGAIN today...I still have yet to leave work and the machine shop closes at 5...Stupid a$$ job, I need to quit and go on welfare like everyone else around here....

#65 ·
Isn't it sad that they could save money if they actually hired people to police welfare and food stamps? By kicking all the people off it that drive Escalades and Lexus cars and abuse the system.

#66 ·
Around here that would be 75% of the population. I am being serious. The actual number of welfare people here surpasses the working man 3:1. Of course you have 2nd and 3rd generation welfare families here that have never worked a day in there life, but say they are entitled to the money because the government owes it to them since they are unable to find jobs to support there 5 or 6 kids. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......................Back on topic I don't wanna discuss welfare anymore.
So Kirt you interested in a nice 2.34L yet? I have had a few people actually contact me about it...hehe

#69 ·
Chad hasn't told me what it will be yet. But, he did say that it only makes sense to raise it with all the work done and that the Dom 3.0XTR would benefit me more with it be raised. He said he still likes the 2.5XTR. But, raising my redline will probably run the 2.5XTR out of breath. So, I guess I'll see in a few short weeks. I wouldn't think it's going to be more than 8k or 8.5k. 9k rpm really takes some more work to do it safely.

#70 ·
FINALLY!!!! got the chance to go to the machine shop and pick up my block. Once I get home from the gym I will post some pictures. Half tempted to start putting it together tonight, but I still need to find my damn dial bore gauge...Hope I didn't loan it out and have to buy another one...

#71 ·
Score!!

Plus, keith...what is the big deal about this engine? That you keep harassing me about it. Its basically just more or less piston speed that is different. Am I correct?

#72 ·
It's really just a big bored 2.0L. Higher piston speed than your 2.5L, but you can produce 4k worth of power band. Granted you need the right cams, turbo, etc., but when everything is going right with a 5 speed gear ratio you can rev to the moon. I just love giving you grief about it really. It's nothing special to be honest, just a fun, rev happy motor.:D

#74 ·
Yeah, but I will be making only slightly less torque, but more power for 4k. I'm talking a flat power band from 4.5k to 9k...Based on supporting mods of course. I should add that you could do higher RPM in all gears so you don't have to shift as much at the track..

#75 ·
Okay sorry for the crappy pictures, but I had to use my phone and it's dark in the "assembly room". Freshly machined block and I even got around to installing the main bearings on both halves. Once I get the rods balanced I will attach them to the crank and drop them in. I will try and get better pictures if I can.

Attachments

#76 ·
It gets risky at 9k and I think I need to hit a track or two after I get some suspension bits on my car. I might even make the haul to a 1/4 mile drag strip. The 1/8 mile tracks are closer to me. Boo...

#77 · (Edited)
Risky? You and I have both experienced engine failure so we realize the chances taken. Trust me if we do meet up and you drive my car you'll see what I mean by reving it out...Once I get the GT40 on, and if the trans holds for a pass, I will probably get away with only having to shift once in the 1/8.

#78 ·
Yeah, its why most people go dry sump at 9k rpms. Its mostly trying to keep the oil flow up to snuff at 9k. You need to cool it all down and keep it lubricated. (That is what she said) ;) I don't like 1/8 miles...its too short.

#79 ·
Well if I was road coursing it or drag racing it all the time I probably would go dry sump, but I don't drive it at 9k all the time so stock is fine. Heck I am even running a factory pick up tube..:shhh: and stock STi oil pan. I am thinking about buying a bigger oil cooler, but honestly I haven't seen the need since my oil temps don't get any higher than stock, even at the track.
I don't like 1/8mile either, but it's the closet track to me(about an 1hr. away) National Trails is 2hrs. away and I don't like that drive at all.

#83 ·
More than likely the same one I have pictured...It's used on 08-11 STi's and it replaced the 10mm used on previous models. I think it's because of the AVCS on both cams on the newer cars and it is better suited than the 12mm from everything I have read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.