Subaru WRX Forum banner

2.34L build

41K views 170 replies 11 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have some parts lying around the garage and the wife wants me to "clean it up." So I am considering doing another 2.34L build, just the shortblock for now, and will use this thread as a means of showing the build progress.
I happen to have a used, but in great condition 2.0L crank, 05STi block and a set of STi rods. Other than a bore and hone the block is in great shape and the rods were reconditioned units I got in a trade. So I will need some pistons, rings, bearings and other odds and ends.

Now with that being said the build will be slowed due to me having to work 2 jobs and an up coming surgery that will have me unable to do things for a couple of weeks. I will push forward and make it happen. I will sell this one to someone, who knows maybe one of the guys on here will that keep blowing motor will want it...:D I'll post some pictures when I get home tonight from work.

#32 ·
Well took the block to the machine shop, and it's $30 a hole. I suppose I should count my lucky stars it wasn't more. They checked the bores and they were just out of spec...POOOP!!!, so I will just get .5mm bore and hone and be done with it. Everything else checked out good, deck is within spec as well as the crank bores so it looks like this thing is going a little better than expected. So Wossner will have a repeat customer later next week when I order my pistons...$550 the wife shouldn't notice that...lol
http://www.maperformance.com/wossner-pistons-subaru-ej25-wossner-ej25.html

#40 ·
Most go with CP, nothing wrong with that. I have never used Mahle so I don't have the experience with them. Like I said before I heard about Wossner from the Porsche guys I know and they really seem to be good. I am hoping I can get them soon so I can get my block back from the machine shop. I am having surgery on the 15th of August so I'd like to at least have all the parts before then and maybe even have the shortblock together.

#44 · (Edited)
Well sadly mine is functioning properly, it's just full of stones and a few of them are rather large, so my doctor wants it out.

In other news the machine shop called me today and said since I have been using them for everything they'd cut me a deal and only charge me $20 a hole...

#49 ·
Well got the pistons to the machine shop yesterday so with any luck everything will be coming together here soon. My surgery was postponed due to the doctor going to France for a month, so I have no idea when I will have that done...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

#51 ·
Who knows, probably South of France since he is into boating and he IS a doctor.
Was scoping injectors today at work. Found a nice set of those EV14's for sale. Think I might go with them this time around.

#52 ·
Still waiting for the machine shop to finish up my block. Man I sit here and look at these parts and get happy about doing this build. Last time I was nervous, not sure why there was a change...

#54 ·
Yeah, I've found that most people just don't prepare before they do these things. They just jump into it like it was build a TV stand or something...
Make a check list of all parts and tools need.
Lay them out in front of you before you start.
Write down all clearances. i.e. main, rod bearings ptw, ring gaps, etc, etc.
ALWAYS KEEP PARTS CLEAN!!!!

#61 ·
Well I'm still waiting on the new to get here. I've kind of been putting off doing anything right now due to so many things going on at work and trying to finish my fence for the puppies, plus going to the doctor to figure out when I am getting my gall bladder taken out...Huh I just seem to have no time anymore...I will get some pictures up when I get a chance. Again I apologize for my busy ass life at the moment..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.