Subaru WRX Forum banner

07' WRX motor internals ?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
Trying to find out what materials the crank, rods, and pistons are made out of on the 07's before I buy. Trying to decide how far I could go with the motor, if I wanted to. I want a wagon so the STi is out.

I'm really trying to decide between the base model and WRX. Right now I am looking for a comfortable car because of muscle damage from an injury, but want the best choice if I wanted to upgrade in the future. If the WRX has weakneses in the motor, that I would be needing to change, It might not be the best choice. I like a turbo, but would want a FMIC, so I didn't have the scoop. Don't like the look or it in my field of view. Anything that distracts me from driving is an annoyance.

The base model is more comfortable for me to drive, and I read on an i-speed modding, the 5 speeds are the same except for gear ratioes. Might have been an older year, but If true, the WRX doesn't gain there.

I want to get the best setup for me for now, and whatever I might want in the future. Don't want to say, if I only bought That, or This didn't gain me much.

Vince F

#2 ·
the base model is not designed to be a turbo. it might have a similar 2.5L size, but the internals are not designed for much more than stock. Boost in an NA engine is generally a bad idea. The WRX is a sports car, the "base model" is an econobox.

If you wanted to mod the base model, your first mod would be swap the engine to what's in the WRX. A very expensive and silly thing to do. Get a WRX if you want a performance car. Modding a base impreza is for ricers who don't care how fast their car actually is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.