Subaru WRX Forum banner

04 body 06 engine?? possible?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZX980 
#1 ·
so, i have two wrx's, an 04 with a spun rod bearing but a solid body, and an 06 with a solid engine but haggard body/undercarridge. what would be the easiest way to make one good solid running car?

#2 ·
I feel like you know the answer but ill say it. Swap the motor from the 06 into the 04. There will be a little more work then just that but that's you best bet. Doing it in reverse would be even more work.

#3 ·
EJ engines are for the most part interchangeable and those 2 are from the same GD chassis which is great.

However, the advanced features of the '06 engine would not be supported by the '04 WRX wiring, e.g. AVCS and drive by wire and therefore would be compatibility issues that would make the swap more complex.

I read that "WRX's from 2001-2005 don't have AVCS although STi's do on the inlet side. 2006-2007 WRX and Sti have AVCS on the inlet side." I also read that '06+ WRX have drive by wire, when the '04 WRX is drive by cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.