02 WRX engine with avcs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxbob is an unknown
02 WRX engine with avcs

I just bought a 02 WRX that supposidly had a bad head gasket. Pulled heads to find that it has cracked heads around spark plug holes. I got a used engine from J-Spec auto sports that was listed on ebay for $1895. The thing that is puzzeling me is the sales man said I need to change my throttle body and intake. The engine that they sent me is from a newer model and it has single avcs while my original engine did not. Will this engine work for me? Can I make use of the avcs and how? Also how do i tell the differance between a usdm and jdm engine and would either one work in my 02 WRX? I have been an auto tech for 20 years, but have little experiance with subarus with the exception of a few clutch jobs and tune ups. Please help me get my WRX going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Adding AVCS will significantly add to the cost of your build. New wiring harness, intake manifold, throttlebody, pedal assembly, a bunch of sensors, ECU, possible ignition change. So you got a 2.5L motor?
#3 Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxbob is an unknown
I am not sure exactly what engine I have. I believe it is a jdm engine. Block says EJ20 and heads say RHH25 and LHH25. White ID stickers are missing. Has single avcs. Please help.
#4 Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You bought an engine without knowing what engine it was? I suggest you find out.
#5 Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxbob is an unknown
I was told it was a o4 jdm ej20 but I can't find any info on the head casting #s
#6 Old 03-24-2013, 08:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Which JDM EJ20? There are multiple kinds.
#7 Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

02wrxbob is an unknown
Just found out it is a 07 v9 jdm ej205. Any info would be a great help. Thank you.
#8 Old 03-26-2013, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
To use the AVCS you will need the parts previously mentioned. You'll need a V9 JDM WRX ECU. I don't believe it will pass inspections because when they hook it up I don't believe it will read. You can use a stand alone ECM, but it definitely won't pass because you lose OBDII functionality. You can try to run it without AVCS. You won't get the added responsiveness it provides, but I'm sure it can be done.