Subaru WRX Forum banner

2016 tail of the dragon boxer takeover

7K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 ·
Last years shenanigans 2015 tail of the dragon annual boxer takeover - Subaru WRX Forum

That time of the year will be coming upon us once again before we know it. Time to make one of the most famous mountain roads in the country come alive with the sound of boxer engines! For those who don't know about the tail of the dragon, it is a curvy mountain road laid out across the Tennessee/North Carolina border which boast an astonishing and heart racing 318 curves in 11 miles with absolutely no side streets attached to it. I highly suggest searching it on google or youtube even if you don't plan on attending. The event will be held April 29th- May 1st with the actual dragon run being the saturday of April 30th. Last year myself and @Epictofer @man show @the RIOT act and @LW_Black4 were in attendance along with some other non forum members. This year I would like to make it even bigger and better. There should be no excuse of how far away it is after @LW_Black4 made the trek all the way from Canada. We have nice cozy lodging planned for our group in a cabin (or two depending on group size) here http://www.thetreetops.com/ but, we must reserve asap. The treetops is already taken by someone else but, the point & the ridge are still available as of now. We stayed in the ridge last year and it is a gear heads dream! As soon as I can get a head count to see if we will need 1 or 2 cabins, I will be taking money to reserve our cabin(s). This payment will be non-refundable. I think last year it was like two nights for only $60-70 each person. If you want to stay in Fontana village where all the festivities will be going down you can find info for that here http://www.annualboxertakeover.com/registration/ . The following are some helpful links to learn more about the event.

http://www.annualboxertakeover.com/

https://www.facebook.com/annualboxertakeover

Please express any interest in going or going and staying with our group either in this thread or by messaging either me or @psinuse and remember, the faster we get a head count and payment, the faster we can lock in our cabin(s). Below is a list of those attending and staying with our group who have committed to paying their share.

1. Boo-key
2. @psinuse
3. @Epictofer
4. Jason Fuller (not a member)
5. @BLAZE2099
6. Mrs. @BLAZE2099
7. @psinuse guest #1
8. @psinuse guest #2
9. @psinuse guest #3
10. @psinuse guest #4

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
do the roads get closed? are there speed limits?

never heard of this and it facinates me :) dunno if i'll be able to attend though because i run a business and work 6days a week :( but would still like to know more

#3 · (Edited)

Attachments

#4 ·
good read :) thanks man!

"Davis turned on the defrost full blast, a precaution, he said, to keep the engine cool in the hot Tennessee night air"

this right here... some dont know thats where the real term "hot lap" comes from. you try to squeeze everything out of the car for your timed, or "hot" lap, you even crank up the heater to help expel engine heat and you end out coming out of the car dripping in sweat from your "hot lap". most think it is because your engine is hot and warmed up, which is true, but it was a joke in reference to how hot the driver was after the lap.

the writer in the ferrari had his A/C on.... lol amateur :p

#5 ·
The road has a speed limit of 35mph, BUT as long as you play it smart you'll be okay. Below are some guidelines I would suggest;
1) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE!!! Some of those turns are sharp and blind.
2) Allow plenty of stopping distance between you and the car in front of you.
3) NEVER EVER EVER go out and do a run without another car, kind of like swimming, never do it alone.
4) Take your time don't get in a hurry, learn the road before you try and drive it hard.
5) Avoid any distractions while driving. This road does take some concentration and having someone yelling at you or changing the radio is not always a smart move.
6) There are several pull overs along the route, if people behind you are catching up to to you, do the nice thing and pull over for them...
7) Have fun.

#6 ·
yea i was watching some other vids.

so the roads arent closed for this event? crossing the line or not, (something i never do anyways, i consider myself a pretty responsible driver) but im more worried about big rig trucks taking up both lanes, or a stalled car behind a blind corner, or a motorbike cutting the inside corner coming at me... even staying in your own lane doing 35mph seems to have it hazards. and from what i saw, its hard to even get up to 35mph before most corners

#7 ·
Semi trucks are not allowed on this road anymore...They banned them this year. Most motorcycle guys stay in their own lanes. Honestly I'd be less worried about a stalled car, but this year they did have a GTR35 catch on fire..

Reactions: titter
#8 ·
Yeah, rigs aren't allowed up there although a stray one is still seen there from time to time. The road is not closed down and there are dangers but, as long as you act like you have some sense everything is usually fine. This road is a hidden gem and 90% of the people driving on it are there for the same reason we will be. If there is a hazard coming up oncoming traffic will make you aware of it. There are some jerks though that just have no manners and cross the double yellow. Like Keith said, #1 rule is to keep it between the mustard and mayo!

#10 · (Edited)
lol nice laugh for the morning... thanks! totally going to say mustard and mayo from now on lolol

thats good that big rigs are banned. honestly thats my biggest fear on ANY country road.
this video did it for me

Reactions: boo-key
#11 ·
is there a sticker or some sort of thing to put on the back of my car letting others know who come up behind me its my first time?

something like this but more oriented to the event.

#14 ·
i would just not want to be a hazard to others. jokes aside, the driver behind me might expect me to do certain maneuvers because he thinks i know the road, when in fact its possible i slam on my brakes to hard for a corner that u dont actually need to slow down for and he rams into me. i know my car and how to drive, but my inexperience in this road could be a hazard. better to be safe than sorry :)

#15 ·
@titter, Its refreshing to hear someone whos specifically not biting off more than they can chew. If you want a marker for new driver you could use the wakaba mark.

Its a common marker in japan and they sell them in the states because they are "JDM" its much like a learners permit here only its displayed on the car for other drivers. Actually they have another marker for elderly or "experienced" drivers as well, Looks like a teardrop I think.

I dont know if it would be effective if people are not accustomed to that mark but at least you would be doing your part to let them know that you are less experienced on that course than other drivers.

hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.