Subaru WRX Forum banner

2015 tail of the dragon annual boxer takeover

29K views 154 replies 15 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 ·
Ladies and gents, I know it's early but, the time will be upon us once again before you know it. May 9, 2015 will be the date for the official 2015 Tail of the dragon boxer takeover. If you have never heard of the dragon or been there then this a must drive that should be on your bucket list. Tucked back in the woods around the North Carolina/Tennessee border is a local secret that has became a world renowned must visit for car enthusiast. Known officially as Deals gap, The dragon, or Tail of the dragon it is 11 miles of white knuckle technical switchback driving consisting of 318 curves.

This time around will mark the fourth annual boxer takeover. There will be vendors, prizes, a dinner, meet, and much more. I will be updating this thread periodically with info, links, and such. I live close so I can answer most questions or help with anyone planning to attend. A few of our members are planning to attend this year which has me stoked about this one! I would like our forum and the Subaru community to have a great turn out! Some of our members are traveling a very long distance to attend so, there should be no excuse for some of you who are pretty close to come on out.

Here are links to the facebook page for the event and the official website for it.
https://www.facebook.com/events/700094726731867/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
https://annualboxertakeover.squarespace.com/

I would like to keep a list of members that plan on coming so we will all know and can get together. I will update the list as needed if you let me know you plan to attend.

Attending
1. Blaze2099
2. psinuse
3. boo-key bear
4. the RIOT act
5. NeverSummer
6. man show
7. LW_Black4
8. Epictofer
9. Xnathanx2

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I'd like to drive this road too, and could use a vacation. So count me in. :)

Saw an excellent article about it in Road & Track last month, where the journalist borrowed a Ferrari 458 Italia Special to try and keep up with some of the local record holders.

I ran the Table Rock State Park continental divide 6 mile hillclimb in my '09 STi one year back, and it sounds like a similar road.

The record holder was running a 300 Hp Mazda RX-7 with super-wide tires.

#4 ·
Sweet!! All the way from Canada eeh? You might be coming from the farthest out yet. Trust me when I say you won't regret it. Don't quote me but I believe there is a prize for farthest distance traveled. I'll check up on it. I saw that article also. It's a good read. Here it is for anyone interested.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/features/ferrari-458-speciale-dragon

Since it seems that our little forum is going to have a descent turn out, I would like us to have a side meet or dinner or something like that. We still have PLENTY of time to plan though. There is usually a big thread over on nasioc but since it's sponsored and has vendors now nasioc wants to get paid a little something for a thread, which is ridiculous! Most people in attendance come from nasioc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
More teasers worth watching. Most are from Killboy which is a professional photography company who camps out on the side of the road to take pics of you hauling balls through the dragon. if you like your pic you can buy it online. They will even make wou a framed poster if you want. you can find them at Killboy.com - Action Photography at The Tail of the Dragon Deals Gap | The original Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap action photographer. Keep in mind this road is a huge motorcycle attraction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GkITfAdzDw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74RQqdUly5U

#9 ·
This will be a really cool trip, and I'm looking forward to meeting you folks and driving this challenging and exhilarating road.

Will ensure that my WRX is in good mechanical shape before heading out and put a bike rack for it so that we can bring our mountain bikes.

#10 ·
Yes, please do a thorough inspection of all suspension and steering parts before you get on the road that Thursday/Friday.
If you are not able to do a good inspection yourself, please take it to a good garage and pay for it.

I love to dick around, but it still has to be safety first.

#11 ·
We will be reserving our cabin(s) in the next day or two for wrxtuners members and friends so if you want in on a place to stay with us that is right in the heart of the dragon then speak now. I promise you won't find one this close later.

#30 ·
Added you to the list in the original post. That brings us up to 9 members coming. Should make for a good wrxtuners meet and greet. As it draws closer be sure to keep in contact so we can meet up. We have a group message on Facebook about it. If you have a fb and are interested in joining our chat drop me a private message.

#33 ·
Hey guys

Names Kirill, I am the guy who organizes this whole thing. I'd like to thank Boo-key bear for throwing this up here and keeping up with the updates from the website and Facebook page.

I am not a frequent user of this forum, but will try and keep up with the thread. I hope to see ya'll come out this year, we will have a ton of stuff to raffle off and plan to have an awesome Subaru filled day at Fontana!

Thanks for joining!

#43 ·
Okay, so Im thinking we need some custom shirts to represent at the meet. I would like to gauge interest in this and get some ideas and feedback. Here's what Im thinking.

Black tee shirt

Front left breast: in gothic lettering, has either our name on the forum, real first name, or both.

Graphic on back: Im thinking a boxer engine and a fire breathing dragon fighting. Maybe "the tail of the dragon" wrapped around the engine. The engine looking like the one in this link http://www.google.com/search?q=wann...68%2Fa-tribute-to-the-legendary-boxer;570;570

Top text on back: in gothic lettering and arched "2015 tail of the dragon" .

Bottom text on back: in gothic lettering and arched "boxer takeover".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.