IAG Performance - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
IAG Performance

Has anyone used IAG Performance to work on their car? What was your experience like and how did it work out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

SOOBYGUY is an unknown
I haven't had any work done there. They are located few mins from me and what i gathered from visiting there and talking on the phone w/ them is they are strictly part replacers. Not sure if they are well versed in subaru tuning or not. I do know my friend had his car dyno'd there and had a bad experience. I would reccomend Agile Auto. located in Fallston, MD. Agile Automotive Performance - Tuning, Fabrication, and Parts
g'luck bro.
#3 Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

CamaroWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to CamaroWRX Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroWRX
IAG is one of a few places that I trust with my '06 WRX. They do a lot more than just "replace parts." I don't know about SOOBYGUY's friend, but my car was tuned at one of their dyno sessions, and I have no complaints at all.

What do you plan on having done?
#4 Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

CHAZ69 is an unknown
I just bought a Cobb accessport from IAG today, they did the install and flash the Stage 1 map for me.I thought that it was a good experience, they did not feed me any B.S. some good guys.I have a Perrin turbo back exhaust coming in friday for my 2008 WRX sedan,IAG will be doing the install and stage 2 flash I will let you know how that goes...
#5 Old 08-13-2009, 06:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
I am planning on the following:
-exhaust upgrade from the turbo back
-upgrade the intake
-Cobb Accessport
-Kartboy short throw shifter
- rear difuser and front air splitter

I might do some more stuff but thats at the top of the list. Just working out the logistics of getting the car and a place to keep it garaged when i am not driving it. I want to do this to an older STI and not my current '09 STi.

Please give me updates on your experience at IAG. Its a 2 hour drive from my house so i want to be sure that its worth the drive.
#6 Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

CamaroWRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to CamaroWRX Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroWRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by angdefeo View Post
I am planning on the following:
-exhaust upgrade from the turbo back
-upgrade the intake
-Cobb Accessport
-Kartboy short throw shifter
- rear difuser and front air splitter

I might do some more stuff but thats at the top of the list. Just working out the logistics of getting the car and a place to keep it garaged when i am not driving it. I want to do this to an older STI and not my current '09 STi.

Please give me updates on your experience at IAG. Its a 2 hour drive from my house so i want to be sure that its worth the drive.
It's completely understandable that you'd want to make sure a 2 hour drive is worth it. I drive about an hour to get there myself, as I'm near BWI and there's no good, direct route to get there.

My car is an autocross (SCCA Solo) car, and the first few things IAG did for me were simple -- purchase of a Whiteline front bar and endlinks, and an alignment. I was running stock class, and having done a lot of stuff to my Camaro myself, I installed the bar and an exhaust on my own, and had a friend install my struts (Koni inserts in stock housings).

When I decided to take the car to ESP for this year, IAG really stepped up. Most of the parts on the car now were purchased there (I think the AST struts and the brake pads I use -- Ferodo -- would be the only major things I didn't get through them), and I bounce setup ideas off JJ (the owner) a lot. He makes suggestions, but doesn't insist that his way is the only right way either, which is nice (believe me, as a female, I get a lot of "you don't know what you're doing" from automotive-types).

My stock clutch started slipping just a week before a big event, while I was still dialing the car in, and Rick and JJ made sure I was able to get a replacement (the ACT one, along with the lightened flywheel) installed in time for proper break-in and one "practice" event before the big one (the DC ProSolo). Because I was pressed for time and couldn't get someone to go to the shop with me to drop the car off, JJ even let me take the '08 STI project car home as a "rental" for the day!

They installed my AST coilovers (fabricating the brackets for the external reservoirs, too), the down pipe, up pipe, intake, Invidia exhaust, TMIC, etc. They'll have my car next week for the differential installs and to do a once-over before it is driven out to Nebraska for the SCCA Solo National Championships.

When I had my car dyno-tuned at one of their monthly sessions (where they fly Jorge in), I actually wasn't in town. I had my codriver take the car to the dyno -- which is not at IAG, but at Infinite Speed & Performance in Beltsville, and IAG rents it for the weekend -- and when my car wasn't behaving as it should, JJ was on the phone with me immediately to let me know what was going on, and how he was going to try to fix it. Turned out to be a minor glitch in the end, and my car was tuned just fine.

There is a huge vendor thread on another forum that is 100% positive reviews on IAG, and I know people that come from Virginia Beach and New York City to have IAG do work on their cars. In the last two months, they've installed a new alignment rack (so that cars no longer need to drive up on ramps; this one is set in ground), new tire mounting/balancer equipment, and have also started roll-cage installation (with new equipment just for that purpose).

I just wish I could find someone as trustworthy to do work on my Camaros!

Karen Kraus
2008 SCCA ProSolo L1 Champion
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX (ESP34) : ESP legal mods
#7 Old 08-13-2009, 09:01 AM
IAG
WRXtuners Member

IAG is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by angdefeo View Post
Has anyone used IAG Performance to work on their car? What was your experience like and how did it work out?
Hello,

If you would like to discuss your build or services you would like performed, feel free to call the shop at 410-840-3555 or send an email to sales@iagperformance.com. We are happy to steer you in the right direction and ensure that you won't buy any unnecessary parts.

Regards,
JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOOBYGUY View Post
I do know my friend had his car dyno'd there and had a bad experience.
Wow! This would be news to me. As stated above, we do not actually dyno cars here on site. All tuning is done at ISP in Beltsville. We fly in Jorge from P&L Motorsports in Chicago, who is known as one of the top 3 Cobb Pro-tuners in the country. Please, if that is the case, send me a PM or an email of who your friend is. If there is a problem or he is unhappy, we want to know about it and more importantly reach out to him. We actually follow up with all of our tuning customer after the tune to be sure they are 100% happy. I don't want to seem as though our poop doesn't stink, but feel free to read through our "Vendor Review" Thread on Nasioc and you will find that it is 100% positive. Again, if there is an issue or someone is unhappy, we want to be proactive in dealing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAZ69 View Post
I just bought a Cobb accessport from IAG today, they did the install and flash the Stage 1 map for me.I thought that it was a good experience, they did not feed me any B.S. some good guys.I have a Perrin turbo back exhaust coming in friday for my 2008 WRX sedan,IAG will be doing the install and stage 2 flash I will let you know how that goes...
Charles,

It was nice to see you again. Please let us know once your exhaust arrives and we will squeeze you in.

Regards,
JJ

NOTE: Mods this is not intended to solicit work without being a vendor. Please let us know if we are over stepping our bounds here.
#8 Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

angdefeo is an unknown
IAG (JJ),
I have exchanged a few emails with Ron from your shop already. He was very helpful and he answered all my questions and explained a few things that i did not understand. At this point, i wanted to ask the other members about their experiences. Given what i am reading here, it looks like i will be calling soon to set up an appointment. I just have a few issues to work out on my end before i can move forward. Thank you for reading and posting to this thread. I found it very helpful.

CamaroWRX.
Thank you for your feedback. Just like you, i appreciate a shop who will give me solid advice and not just do work. Right now, i am a novice to the tuning scene and appreciate input and advice.